Strain

A breath rushed into my body and I slowly opened my eyes. A yawn escaped my lips and I gave a small stretch. I could still feel my body leaning against something strong so I opened my eyes, and found myself still in Logan's arms. My eyes shifted to a nearby clock and realized that I had slept for more than an hour. I peered up and dad noticed that I was awake so he looked down at me and smiled, "Morning, princess. How are you feeling?"
  "Cold," I answered. My body temperature had warmed up a lot more than it was but I still felt freezing.
  Dad shifted, still sitting on the floor with me leaning into his bare chest, "I can get you something warm to drink, if you want."
  I pulled away from the warmth of his body and nodded, "Coffee?"
  He stood up and stepped towards the kitchen, "I don't think you need that much caffeine. How about hot chocolate?"
  I sighed, "Alright."
  Dad walked into the kitchen and grabbed a box from a cabinet. His muscles stretched as he reached for them, and that was the first time that I could fully see how built he was. I was definitely impressed by my father's shape.
  I pursed my lips, "Still haven't put a shirt on, have you?" I teased.
  He shot me a look as he grabbed the powder for the hot chocolate, "What is that suppose to mean?"
  I shrugged and kid, "I know you've been wanting to take your shirt off for a while."
  "And why's that?" Dad kept his voice strong as he grabbed a mug from another cabinet.
  "Definitely to show off," I concluded, still messing with him. 
  He didn't look at me as he answered, "Well, for one, I was taking care of your spoiled self. And two, I would only try to impress Jean."
  My mouth dropped in shock and my eyes widened, "Dad!"
  Logan chuckled and started the coffee maker but he didn't put coffee grinds in the machine, just water, so it would warm up the water. I watched him while I let my mind wander. Dad hadn't asked how I ended up in that freezing cold lake. Did he already know?
  It seemed like I just blinked and Logan was already handing me the hot chocolate. "How's your stomach?" He asked, his voice softening.
  I didn't get the question right away but I soon figured out that he was talking about the gash the shapeshifter left me. I shook my head in a response and took the mug, "It's not healed." Then I pressed the warm mug up to my lips and took a sip of the hot chocolate inside. It seemed to instantly warm my body but I didn't hear a reply from dad so I looked up to see the worry in his gaze.
  "Are you okay?" Dad pressed, sitting down beside me and the - still burning - fire.
  I nodded, "Yeah, I'm slower at healing than you. Remember?"
  "Yeah, I know... So, whenever you're ready, I think we should head back to the school," dad suggested.
  "Like, today?" I narrowed my eyes in shock. 
  Dad grinned, "You'd like that, wouldn't you?"
  I smiled but it was more of a longing expression, "Yeah... I didn't get to say goodbye to anyone..."
  "I know..." Dad answered, gently. Then he nudged me with his shoulder, "I'm going to put a shirt on, you rugrat. Go get your stuff, we can leave soon."
  Now my smirk was back on my face so, after dad left to his bedroom, I sprang onto my feet and jogged to my room. I started grabbing clothes from my dresser and shoved them into my bag, too excited and careless to actually fold them.
  "Come on, Kris, or I'm leaving you here," dad called from the living room. He was obviously teasing but I still rushed.
  With the bag in my hands and a smile on my face, I strode into the room. Logan shot me a grin then I followed him out to the truck. Dad threw his bags in the back of the truck and I was about to do the same but, as I lifted the heavy bags, my breath hitched. I gasped in shock and pain; my stomach was screaming at me to not lift the baggage. 
  Fingers slipped into the handles so I glanced up and looked at dad's soft eyes, "Don't strain yourself," he suggested, then I let him put the bags up. The truck was tall so, after opening the passenger door of the vehicle, it seemed hard to get in. I set one foot against the truck and tried to pull myself up, but - again - feeling a burning sensation in my stomach. "Come on, ready?" dad rested his hands on my waist so, when I nodded, he pushed me up in the truck.
  It still stung my stomach but it would've been a lot worse if dad didn't help me. After he climbed in and started the car, I buckled my seat belt. "Thank you," I turned my head to look at him, thanking him for the help with the truck because I could feel my cheeks burning in a blush. 
  Dad glanced over at me; he smiled and gave me a courteous nod, then he started the truck's engine. My stomach fluttered with excitement as the vehicle began rolling. I knew it was going to take hours - a day even - so I leaned my head against the cold window. A shudder ran through my body and dad seemed to notice.
  "There's a blanket in the back," he made aware while keeping his eyes on the road. 
  I reached my hand to the small back of the truck, feeling a soft fabric. The back was just big enough to carry small things but there was no room for people to sit, so the truck only sat two people. I pulled the blanket from the back then unfolded it and wrapped myself in the warm covers. My head rested against the window, again and this time I closed my eyes, "Wake me up when it's my turn to drive." 
  Dad chuckled but didn't deny or agree. I knew the drive would take at least a day, so I didn't think that either of us were excited for the traveling. This is going to be a long drive, I thought as I let out a soft breath; slowly falling asleep. 

(It is a bit late, writing is going slow. I hope you guys enjoy it until next Friday!
~~~~~ LL2z)