Chapter Eight

"I'll see you later chaps," Harry called, ignoring as they protested for him not to go, but he was already scooping up his satchel and gas mask from the side of the pitch, trotting determinedly after Draco. "Wait!" he shouted. "Draco, wait!"

Thankfully, Draco did indeed stop and turn, biting his lip as he allowed Harry to catch up with him.

"Where are you off to?" Harry cried breathlessly as he came to a halt. He wafted his shirt away from his damp body, hoping he wasn't too grim. Draco looked neat and tidy as always.

Draco shrugged, not really looking up from the ground. "You were having fun, I didn't want to disturb you."

"Don't be daft," Harry said with a laugh. "Why ever would you disturb me?" Draco shrugged again, and Harry got a worm of worry in his tummy. "Draco," he said gently. "Have I...I haven't upset you in some way have I?"

Draco's eyes widened. "Lord, no Harry!" he said, and finally a look of something other than misery graced his features. Surprise perhaps? He sighed. "The truth is I'm having a bad day, but it isn't anything you or anyone else has done, I promise."

"Then what?" Harry asked, relieved that he had not been the cause of Draco's melancholy, but distressed nonetheless that he was indeed upset.

Draco let out a frustrated huff. "It's this bloody war," he bemoaned, using a word they weren't supposed to say out loud, especially not in front of grown-ups. "I'm just missing home. I-" He fiddled with the books in his hands and shifted his weight. "It's my birthday today, and Mother was unable to come and visit like she hoped."

Harry's insides dropped into his boots. "Oh Draco," he admonished, clouting his arm for good measure. "Why on Earth wouldn't you tell me it's your birthday, now I feel beastly, I haven't got you a single thing!"

He was a little mollified to see a small smile creep onto the other boy's face. "I didn't want you to trouble with presents for anything, there's not much to go around after all."

Harry wasn't going to be dissuaded though. "But we're friends, that's a special exception, I would have found something to get you-" he broke off, his face lighting up in a delighted smile. "Actually," he announced proudly. "It turns out I have something simply marvellous for you, and this present happens to be totally free." He shot out his hand, wiggling his fingers in invitation for Draco to take it. "Come on!"

Draco let out a breath, his body relaxing as he let go of his sadness, and grabbed Harry's hand firmly. "Lead the way," he urged cheerfully.

They ran and jogged and skipped and spun all the way to the woods on the edge of town. Harry was chatting the whole time, explaining how he had been exploring when Draco had insisted on doing his extra studies, and how he had made the most extraordinary discovery a few days ago. "I was waiting for the best time to show you," he gabbed, grinning ear to ear as he pushed his way through several low hanging branches. "And what better day than your birthday?"

Draco was smiling back at him, though stayed quiet as he had most of the short journey. He looked like he was waiting to see just what Harry had to show him, but luckily he didn't have to wait much longer. "Close your eyes!" Harry told him just as they were almost at the right spot. So Draco stopped walking and did as he was told. Harry took both his hands, and carefully guided him around the last bend.

"If I trip and twist my ankle, it shall be the most rotten of presents Potter," Draco threatened, but both boys were giggling.

"Okay," Harry announced, turning him and placing him in front of his surprise. "Open your eyes!"