Chapter Sixteen

Harry just stared for a moment, utterly stunned. "You're here?" he squeaked.

"Of course," Mrs Malfoy laughed. "Christmas time is for spending with family after all."

Draco was tugging a large wheeled shopping bag behind him as he bustled into the house. "And look at all we've bought you!"

"My goodness," Mrs Figg remarked, coming in to see the Malfoys, several cats trailing behind her. "You do know how to make an entrance, don't you?"

"The surprise was Draco's idea," said Mrs Malfoy fondly, though Harry got the impression that maybe she had wanted to warn them of their intended arrival in advance.

Draco though looked extremely pleased with himself. "Just how Mother surprised me," he said. "I said last year we stayed in the whole day, so we shouldn't be disrupting any plans."

"No plans that can't be jigged about," said Mrs Figg happily. "Although, I'm worried we won't have enough to feed everyone?"

Mrs Malfoy placed her hand on her chest. "As if we would impose ourselves on you without thinking to bring provisions?" She smiled widely and prettily as she and Draco opened the zipper to their shopping trolley, and Harry gasped when he saw what was inside. A whole hock of ham was neatly wrapped up, more potatoes and cabbage to go with the carrots and peas from the garden, as well as flour, eggs and milk.

"Mother would like to make us her Yorkshire puddings," Draco said proudly as they deposited the last of the food supplies on the table. "They are simply divine."

"This is too much," Mrs Figg thickly, but Mrs Malfoy shook her head.

"Arabella," she said warmly as two very fancy bottles of red wine were produced. Harry was almost certain they had to have come from the black market, but the look of joy on Mrs Figg's face made him decide it was worth it. "You have housed my son for over a year, and look set to continue to do so for the foreseeable future. It is my absolute pleasure to be able to share some of our harder-to-come-by items with you."

"We shall have a wonderful day," Draco announced, and took Harry's hand to give it a good squeeze.

Harry hadn't really appreciated how much he had missed his friend until that moment, when he suddenly felt quite overwhelmed, numerous thoughts tumbling through his mind all at once. He missed Draco by his side, the way they would always reach out for the other's hand, how they would sleep knowing the other was just beside them, how they would tickle and push and hug each other. And now, with their hands connected once again, something in Harry broke just a little, and he flung his arms around Draco, burying his face in his shoulder to try and mask his unwanted tears.

He vaguely heard someone make a noise of pity, but he was mostly focused on Draco hugging him tightly. "Why are you sad?" he whispered.

Harry shook his head. "Not sad," he said. At least, he didn't think he was, it was hard to tell. He missed his mother and father terribly, and thinking about the war getting worse made his insides writhe, but that wasn't why he was crying. "Happy," he mumbled with a wet chuckle at his own silliness.

"Oh my dear," he heard Mrs Malfoy say, and felt her hand stroke the back of his head. "It's alright."

After a minute more, Harry composed himself enough to let go of Draco and step sheepishly back. "Sorry," he said, wiping his eyes with the sleeves of his jumper.

"Nothing to be sorry about," said Mrs Figg gruffly, her cheeks a little pink herself. "What's say we get this meat in the slow cooker, and pop the rest in the larder for later?"

"And then we can do presents!" Draco said, his hand still in Harry's. "Mother, can I show Harry our special present now?"

He looked fit to burst with excitement, and Harry felt a guilty spike of interest. He didn't want to be greedy, but he hadn't expected a present from Draco's parents.

"Go on then," Mrs Malfoy said kindly, already helping to move the food into the kitchen.

So Draco tugged Harry to the front door, and Harry watched on in bewilderment as they stepped outside . He had definitely seen their wrapped up presents in the lower half of the wheelie bag. "Why are we going outside?" he asked, confused and still a little shaken from his unexpected tears.

"That's why!" Draco said.