Chapter Nineteen

Harry sprinted after him, cackling with glee as they crashed through the trees into the cooler shadows of the forest. "It's cheating when you have the legs of a giraffe at your disposal," Harry bellowed after him, shoving his glasses back up his nose where they slipped. "But you're no match for me!"

"Big words Potter, coming from such a little man!" Draco flashed a smile over his shoulder and darted down their well trodden path that lead up to the blackberry bushes. It was highly unlikely there would still be any left after they and the wildlife had picked the shrubs clean over the summer, but it was where they often found themselves headed whenever they came into the forest out of habit. It was their secret space, where they would sit and talk for hours, fruit to eat or not.

Eventually Harry did catch up with Draco, but he merely slung his arms around his waist and spun him around. "I told you I'd win," he chuckled as they both stumbled free, and Harry let his hair be ruffled affectionately for a second before he batted Draco away. He liked doing that to remind Harry of the couple of inches he had over him, and Harry liked to pretend it annoyed him. Secretly though, he always thought it was nice to feel Draco's fingers through his hair, even though that was probably a strange reaction to have.

"You should join my football team," Harry said as they began to stroll along the make-shift path, catching their breath.

Draco sighed. "We've been through this," he said, and they had, after a year or two of Harry patiently probing and encouraging Draco to play. "Father doesn't like it, he thinks it's for commoners."

Harry tutted. "Football is for everyone," he said defiantly, although from what he'd gleaned of Mr Malfoy, he might be overestimating his bravery were he to ever meet him in person. "Besides, when he sees you in midfield, he'll soon change his mind, you're a menace on the pitch!"

Draco smiled shyly at him. "We'll see," he said.

They walked a little further in silence, almost at their blackberry patch. "I suppose," Harry piped up, striving to keep his voice level. "It will be strange not living together anymore."

It was the only (rather selfish) thought that put a dampener on his elation at the prospect of the end of the conflict. He had grown so accustomed to Draco always being there, by his side, that he wasn't sure who he was any more without him there to turn to. As much as he longed to go back home and be with his parents, it would be a little empty without Draco there whenever he wanted to talk to him.

Draco thought on that a moment. "You're right," he said. "But, I'm sure I could persuade Mother to have a room set up for you, so you could stay whenever you wanted. There are so many, we never fill them all with guests, not even at dinner parties. You can have your own all the time, for whenever you want it, we'll even decorate it how you want!"

Harry looked over to him as they flopped to the forest floor, the grass in front of the sparse blackberry bush bathed in a pleasant pool of afternoon sunshine. "Would you really do that?" he asked, a strange little hope in his chest. It wouldn't be like sharing their bed, but it would be lovely to know he had a permanent place at Draco's home. It warmed his skin as much as the sunlight.

"Of course," said Draco, leaning back on his hands. "I've grown so used to tormenting you, Mother would most likely sling me out into the street if I suddenly turned my talents on her, I'd need to keep you by my side to stop me from harassing her!"

Harry shoved him, and Draco shoved him back, laughter bubbling at the back of their throats. Harry left his shoulder resting against Draco's, and mimicked him by leaning on his hands too. "Seriously though, you think you're parents wouldn't mind?"

"Not at all," Draco said seriously. "Mother adores you, and Father adores Mother, so will do whatever she says. Once he's back from the war, you'll be able to meet him and I'm sure you'll both get on splendidly."

"Even though I'm..." Poor. He wanted to say poor. He lived in a small terraced house, and Draco lived in a five story mansion. "Not like your other friends," he finished instead.

Draco looked over at him, sincerity in his eyes. "You have courage and selflessness in your heart Harry," he said quietly. "My father will respect that, I assure you."

Harry held his gaze a little while. It should have been uncomfortable, but it wasn't. "You think I'm brave?" he asked, touched.

"And unselfish," Draco said with a nod. "A little pigheaded sometimes-" Harry slapped him lightly on the arm, but they were both laughing. "But yes, you're a good sort Harry Potter, you'll be a good man, anyone can see that."