my last full day

I woke up early, really early, on the couch in the tv room. Jasper was laying next to me, snoring like a lawn mower. I rolled my eyes and turned on my phone to check the time. 6:13 am, it read. Perfect, I thought. I have enough time to take a shower.

I crawled off the couch and walked up the stairs and into my bathroom. I turned on the shower and walked into my room, trying to find an outfit to wear. My last day here, might as well go out with a bang. I went over to one of the boxes with my 'special' clothing in it and ripped it open. Inside was my leather jacket, covered in band patches, but not enough to cover up the black jackets glossy exterior of the leather. I taped the box back up and went over to my duffel bag, pulling out a black pair of incredibly ripped jeans (but they had fabric underneath the rips so my legs wouldn't freeze to death) and a shirt that says 'you're wrong I'm right like always'. I also grabbed my huge bulky combat boots and a pair off boots socks, as well. I went back into my bathroom and took a 10 minute shower, Pierce the Veil playing in the background. Once I was done, I got out and dried out my hair, wrapping the towel around myself after. I then got the blow dryer out of a box in my room and plugged it in. After another ten minutes of drying my hair, it was in soft, purple waves. I got changed into my outfit and it was time for makeup. I took a palate of black and gray eyeshadow and slathered it on my eyelids, giving myself a smoky eye. Then I put on some heavy eyeliner and mascara as well. I also found some purple lipstick, so I decided to give that a go. I fluffed my hair before putting on my bracelets, grabbing my phone and my backpack, and heading down the stairs. Jasper, of course, was still asleep.

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. How much sleep does he need? I wrote a quick note telling Jasper that I was going to go to a coffee shop before school and left it on the counter.

The outside air was bitter and cold as always, and it was still dark outside. The street was vacant, and only a few of the houses on my street had there lights on, the dim shadows of the insides of their houses dancing on the wet sidewalks. I shouldered my backpack and rubbed my hands together, creating some warmth before shoving them in my pockets. I walked down the street, going the opposite way of the school, and out of my neighborhood and to a small shopping center. They had a few stores there, mostly quaint little boutiques, an art studio that I liked, and a comic book store that I have visited a couple times. But there was also a snug little coffee shop, hidden away in the corner of the dimly lit shopping center. Gentle glowing Christmas lights hung from the light poles, giving the cement a yellowish aura. I walked across the nearly barren parking lot and to the small shop. When I stepped through the door, a little bell jingled over the blues music playing in the background and a strong smell of coffee beans and freshly baked cookies drifted to me. There were only a few other people in the room, mostly business men reading newspapers and a teenage boy sipping something from a gray mug and looking utterly stressed out.

I stepped up to the counter, pulling out $20 from my backpack and smiling at the small barista standing behind the counter.

"What can I get you?" she asked with a polite voice and a small smile.

"Um, can I have a Hot Chocolate and a blueberry muffin, please?"

"Of course, whipped cream on that?"

"Yes, please."

"Ok," she typed in something on the cash register. "That will be $7.24."

I handed her the twenty and the drawer for the cash register rolled open. She put in the bill and handed me back the change. I put it in the glass tip jar and walked over to the pickup counter. The short girl hummed to herself as she fixed my hot chocolate and wrapped up the blueberry muffin. She finished by topping the mug off with whipped cream and brought it over to the counter. But she didn't give me my items right away.