Chapter 3

Kakashi's POV

As we approached the hospital, I took advantage of the Uchiha's distracted state to examine the pair. The woman Hikari seemed about my age, medium length dark red, almost plum, hair and a short frame. She had a fuller figure than her companion; 

The Uchiha. Amazing that we could run into her. She was taller, slender, with a quite willowy build. Her short, choppy hair was the same color as Uchiha Itachi's. The girl, who I've placed to be about 17 or 18, still hadn't deactivated her sharingan. I could tell she didn't trust us, and she seemed to be weary of anyone who came within a five foot radius of Hikari. 

Though I don't think she has a choice at this point; her partner has lost a lot of blood.

After the two are situated in a room, I ask a Medi-nin to watch them and make sure they don't go anywhere. None of us knew exactly how strong either of them were, or their motives, but I knew we didn't want them loose in the village. 

"Kaka-sensei! Who are they? What's going to happen? Why are th- mhdph! S-Sakura-chan! That hurt!" I sigh as I witness Sakura beating up on Naruto yet again. 

"I don't know anything yet, I'm going to ask the Hokage. You three stay here and stay out of trouble." I look specifically at Sasuke. "Do not talk to the Uchiha." I could tell Sasuke was itching to question the young woman, and since the boy wasn't a trained interrogator, it could do more harm than good. Particularly with the woman's aggressive nature. Sasuke could get hurt by fighting out of his weight class. 

With that, I transported myself to the Hokage's office. I gave my mission report from the Land of Waves, then quickly told him about our two visitors. After explaining what happened, Third suggests I bring them directly there once the woman Hikari wakes.

Hikari's POV

I woke up in a small white room as a woman bent over my waist. My mind still a little fuzzy, I tried to struggle away, but was restrained by slender fingers on my wrist. Asaki. At least she was here too, we can fight our way out of anything. I tense, ready to fight.

I notice that the unfamiliar woman was using medical ninjutsu on my side, and relaxed into the green light. Quite familiar by now with this type of jutsu (I had had training in that field), I knew she wasn't harming me in any way. 

Usually I would've healed myself, but I was completely out of chakra. The escape from Orrockimaru had made me use one too many jutsus. It was a good thing shadow manipulation didn't deplete my levels. 

Asaki tensed, and I glance at the door. That silver hair... Kakashi. I knew him. I recalled a vague memory of him carrying me until the small genin team was attacked by Saki.

"The Hokage wants to speak to you. I'll take you there if you can stand..." Kakashi broke off as Asaki snarled, gripping my shoulders. 

Asaki is very suspicious of people and takes a while to become accustomed to new faces. Rather, she didn't trust anyone besides me. Before now, it had been me and her against the world. Getting accustomed to village life would be very difficult, for the both of us. I sigh, knowing that we won't get anywhere like this. 

I stand shakily, gripping Asaki's hand in my own. Looking down, I see that my side is sufficiently healed to use one of my most useful powers. Shadow-traveling was a handy skill, but I couldn't use it if I was badly injured. Especially when transporting two people. It could be dangerous.

"We will go. It is not necessary to lead us." With that, I sprint towards the most shadowy wall in the room, pulling Asaki in with me. We pass through the cold shadow and come out on the other side, stepping right out of a shadow in the doorway of the Hokage's office. To say he was surprised would be an understatement. 

 Not wanting to waste time, I skip icebreakers and pleasantries. "My name is Shizuka Hikari, this is Uchiha Asaki. We are formerly from Konoha and wish to become residents again. We may also have information you would find helpful about Orochimaru and the Akasuki." 

The third Hokage seemed quite shocked. Understandably, since he recognized Asaki's name immediately from the bingo book.

"And why should I shelter a rouge ninja? And who are you to be traveling with one?"
I contemplated this: Konoha didn't know my 'pen name' then. I supposed I should enlighten them. 

"I am known as Yuro no Kage. Shadow of the Night. I am also technically a missing nin. We were both kidnapped by Orrochimaru, and forced with curse marks to do his bidding. We offer our service and loyalty to you, and I hope we can combine forces and information to bring down both organizations."

Sarutobi stared long and hard at both of us. I could tell he was measuring us, noting our ages and matching our stories with the disappearances of children in our clans. Finally he spoke. "Kakashi." 

The man in question slid into the room, hands lazily stowed in his pockets. He had heard everything. His single uncovered eye took in the scene before him, darting around the room until he focused on the Hokage. 

Sarutobi folded his hands on his desk. "See them situated in an apartment. Tomorrow we'll see how well you two fight and rank you." He paused, suspiciously eyeing the two women. "Welcome back."

Asaki and I left the room, while Kakashi stayed to speak to the Hokage. We paused outside to listen in:

"Kakashi, I want you to keep an eye on them. I think they are trustworthy, but I've been fooled before. It would be much better to keep them here under surveillance than to have them running back to the Akatsuki or Orochimaru."

Kakashi responded "Fine. I'll see what I can find out." And exited the room to show us around.

**********************************

Our apartment was quite nice. We had been sleeping on the ground or in trees for a month, so an actual cot was very much appreciated. Kakashi informs us that he stays a couple doors down from us. Perfect for keeping an eye on us. He also told us he would be around at nine to bring us to a training area. 

As Asaki and I get settled, she finally spoke. "I know my clan is all dead, from Itachi, but what about yours? Will you face them?"

Now that's a thought.  I wonder what my parents will be like after all these years. In my mind's eye, I could see them; My hazel-eyed father and my red-haired mother, crying tears of joy at my return. My heart ached for the love of my family, for the feeling of belonging, for a new beginning. They would meet Saki. They would soothe my nightmares. They would remember me.

I look outside, darkness just creeping in. My favorite time of day, just after sunset.

I make a quick decision and leap to the open window sill.

"I'm going home."

*AN

Don't be a silent reader, tell me what you think! Also sorry if there have been spelling mistakes or whatever, I'm typing this on my phone. 

-Hanna

*edit- hopefully I fixed most of the spelling mistakes, I'm back on my computer

*Edit edit- shit fam I was horrible at spelling