Chapter 8

Staying in the stands while my kids were fighting was not the most pleasant situation. In fact, the swooping feeling in my gut as Naruto got the shit beat out of him by Kiba really put me on edge. Imagine that. Good thing that kid can really take a hit. And honestly, the plan he formulated on the fly was quite impressive. Not Shikamaru smart, but quite good for Naruto. 

The preliminaries continued, and finally it was Sasuke's turn. Kakashi tensed as they began to fight. Placing my hand on Kakashi's arm to relax him a little, I leaned closer to the fight.

Sasuke seemed to be having a few problems with the curse mark. That really isn't good. As someone who had experienced a curse mark, I could tell he was struggling, but doing remarkably well to keep it in check. Finally the match was over. I could breathe easier.

Kakashi's POV

As I carried the almost unconscious boy away from the fight, I made eye contact with Hikari. I knew she wanted to come and help, but the best thing would be for her to stay here and watch for signs of Orochimaru. She nodded subtly, understanding that she was needed here. I still don't understand how she can read people so easily.

After sealing the curse mark, I noticed that I have a visitor. Turning, I saw a man I certainly didn't want to see. 

"Orochimaru."

"Kakashi-kun, wow how you've grown, you can do a curse Mark seal now!" The pale figure stepped from behind a pillar, long ass tongue licking his lips in possibly the creepiest fashion. "My business isn't with you, it's with the boy behind you."

I moved a bit more in front of the now fully unconscious Sasuke.

Orochimaru smirked at me, then flicked his eyes to the ceiling, where the sounds of fighting could just barely be heard. "Also, a few of my pets are here. I saw them, and I want them back."

My blood ran cold. "Hikari. You're here for Hikari and Asaki."

The snake hummed in agreement. "Yes. That Uchiha brat stole something of mine, and Kari darling belongs to me." The snake grinned at me in a taunting way. "Her skin is just so soft, don't you think?"

I growled at that, my protective side winning out. "You can't take them." My chidori burst to life in my hand.

Orochimaru laughed coldly. "I'll have them soon enough. Nice seeing you again, Kakashi-kun."

He turned and left, leaving me standing, a little shocked, mostly worried, with the passed out Uchiha Sasuke.

*Hikari's POV

*one month later

I stood with Asaki in the stands, waiting for the third round of the chunin exams to start. I was quite nervous, and could feel tension in the air. Something big was going to happen today. Looking out at the rest of the spectators, I take note of the vast amount of feudal lords and innocent civilians, each and every one with the potential to be collateral damage.  

Standing close to Asaki, I whispered "Can you feel that? What do you think?"

She nodded. "I don't know, but watch the Sand genin. I can't help feeling that they are involved somehow. That Gaara of the sand..."

"I know. Jinchuriki. For the one tail. Death nearly radiates from him and his sand."

We lapsed into a comfortable silence, until I noticed an absence. Damn that dilatory idiot. "Where's Kakashi? Shouldn't he be here yet? I know he was training Sasuke, but this is not a time for his signature tardiness." I hadn't seen much of him since the prelims, as he had been training Sasuke, and I had been out on missions.

Asaki smirked. "Always looking for Kakashi aren't you? I'm sure they will get here for Sasuke's fight."

I ignore her playful hinting, turning my face to the arena.

****************************

Where the hell is Kakashi? The ten minutes allotted by the Hokage were almost up. 

Suddenly a pair of shinobi appeared in the middle of the arena. I sighed, muttering 'Show off'

Materializing next to me, Kakashi leaned against a pillar, looking a bit worn out. I gave him a small smile and patted him on the back. "Look sharp Kashi, I think something big is going to happen."

I was certainly correct about that conclusion I thought as I gazed out at all the unconscious spectators. I didn't have long to dwell on this, as someone grabbed my shoulder and I was pulled out of the way of a flying shuriken. Snapped out of my daze, I smiled a quick thank you at Kakashi, and threw a kunai behind him, deflecting another shuriken aimed at his back.

Kakashi and I were perfectly in sync as we fought the invading shinobi, ducking under each other's arms and fighting back-to-back. I noticed a few ninja sneaking onto the overhang above us, planning to attack from above.

"Hey Kashi! Give me a lift?" I shouted, gesturing up. He nodded, backing away slightly, spreading his legs and bending his knees. 

Sprinting, I used Kakashi's laced fingers as a springboard and was catapulted up onto the roof. As I quickly took out the enemy fighters, a huge booming sound distracted me, allowing the last shinobi to sink a katana into my arm. Yelling, I punched her in the throat, and she crumpled. Returning my gaze to the village, I gasped as I saw huge snakes terrorizing my comrades. Oh no you don't. Nobody messes with my village.

Glancing back at Kakashi, I decided he could handle himself. I caught his eyes, and gestured that I was going to help out in the village. He waved back, an action that seemed a bit to whimsical for the present situation. Chuckling, I turned my attention to the oppressive cloud of smoke that hid my next challenge. I summoned the shadows to support my weight, and glided swiftly over the rooftops.

Fighting the snakes was like fighting Orochimaru himself. After just a few minutes, I knew there was one way to finish this quickly. Hoping the landing wouldn't hurt too much, I began my jutsu. 

Generally my shadows took no chakra, and no handsigns. Like Gaara's sand, it sort of circled me, protecting me. It was more subtle and didn't usually do big lethal attacks. However in situations like this, I could use my bloodline limit and my chakra to create malicious shadows. They do big things. Like taking out giant snake summons. 

Focusing all my chakra, I let it build up inside me. Shadows were whisked away from buildings, trees, and surprised people. They gathered around me, circling faster and faster until I released my chakra explosively. 

A scream was torn from my throat as I pushed the shadows into two giant fists, and crushed the snakes between the huge palms. They disappeared in twin puffs of smoke. 

That was the good news. The bad news was that the jutsu I had just used completely drained me. My eyes rolled back and I fainted. My last thought as I fell to earth was damn I hope a medi-nin is around to heal me. I'm about to break every bone in my body.

*AN
Orochimaru's convo with Kakashi was probably different but whatever this is how it is here. I don't really like the first half of this chappie, but eh
As always, your friendly neighborhood darling *tips hat
-Hanna