Chapter 6

The next morning, Asaki and I parted ways to meet our separate genin teams. We were both nervous, since we had had almost no experience working with anyone besides each other. I was mostly worried about Asaki; she could get violent when irritated.

"Try to make friends." I frown at her words. We don't make friends.

"More like don't kill any annoying twelve year olds. What team do you have?"

She sighed. "Team eight. The captain is a woman named Kurenai. How about you?"

It was my turn to sigh in frustration. "Kakashi didn't tell me. He said 'you'll find out'. So I guess I'm in for a surprise. I'm meeting them in training field ten." Stupid weird-haired son of a bi-

"This is field ten. Have fun, I'll see you later." Asaki said with a small comforting smile.

Leaving Saki to find her team, I scaled the training fields fence and landed lightly on the grassy ground. I was immediately assaulted by an orange blob with yellow hair. I groaned and readied myself to deflect the stubborn boy, and dodge his teammates, who were trying to sneak up on my other side. Foolish genin.

The Uchiha tried landing a hit on my side, but I grabbed his wrist and pulled him around, causing the two boys to crash into each other. I jumped back and landed on the balls of my feet behind the girl. She barely had time to inhale and let out a squeak as I covered her mouth with a wisp of shadow. I really hate her shrill screams.

"Kashi, this is my surprise? You set your genin on me? I'm hurt. If you barely beat me, I don't think these kids have a chance."

Kakashi landed next to me, looking lazy as usual. "Sorry, just wanted to see how their teamwork was. I'm a bit disappointed." He gestured to the three kids. "This is Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura. You three, this is our new member of team seven, Shizuka Hikari."

"We remember. Where's your partner?" Or course Sasuke would want to know. She was 'family'.

"Asaki has been assigned to team eight. You can find her later, I'm sure you two have a lot to talk about."

******************************

Team seven was a shitshow. I really admire Kakashi for putting up with them.
We sat on the grass as the three genin climbed trees with chakra. Sakura was pretty proficient, Sasuke and Naruto still needed a little work. They also really needed to get along better. Their bickering was getting on my nerves already.

"So, I've been assigned to your team. That wouldn't have anything to do with the Hokage wanting you to keep an eye on me would it?"

Kakashi neither confirmed nor denied this, simply humming in a noncomittal way, eyes still trained on the genin. I sighed, knowing I wouldn't get anything out of the jounin.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty-four."

"Ah, two years older than me. This doesn't mean I have to call you senpai now does it?"

Kakashi chuckled, glancing over at me for the first time. His laughter died away as our eyes met, and he looked forward again. "I remember you before you left the village. You were four, correct?"

I looked over at Kakashi in surprise. "Why didn't you say anything before?"

"I wasn't sure, but now I'm pretty confident that it was you. I walked past your house to get to the academy every day." he smiled, closing his visible eye. "You were always siting at that dumpling place."

I smiled slightly, recalling the tiny dumpling shop I used to visit nearly every day. My mother had known the owner I think, and it was near the compound. It was also near the academy, and I loved watching some of the students throwing kunai at wooden posts.

"Its weird, knowing we could've been friends if..." My sentence died away, but we both knew what I was going to say. If I hadn't been abducted by Orochimaru.

We sat in silence, watching the kids train.

*********************************

Asaki had to drag me by my wrist to get me out of our apartment later that night. Apparently her jounin platoon leader Kurenai had invited her to come out with a few friends. And since Asaki wasn't good with people, I was towed along. Honestly.

"Come on Kari. It won't be too bad. Kakashi will be there, so if you don't want to socialize, hang out with him."

I sighed, following her to a group of people outside a pub. I'm not looking forward to this.

Asaki's POV

Kurenai was nice to invite me here, but I felt so nervous about people I had to bring Kari. She really didn't want to come. Social gatherings were not her thing. To be honest, they're not my thing either, but I couldn't refuse Kurenai. She used those big pleading eyes... Also, knowing I was going to live here indefinitely, getting to know people my own age would be a good idea.

"Come on it'll be fun! We need to be acquainted with people we will have to work with in the future." I try not to grit my teeth at that; the only person I would want to work with was trailing behind me, looking sour.

Hikari knew I was right, so she kept the mumbling and complaining to a minimum. It helped Kakashi would be there, since we already knew him. Quite a nice guy, if a bit odd.

I knew in a matter of minutes that I felt out of place. Meeting new people was hard for someone who trusts only one person in their life. The large group had decided to get a few drinks as well, and they were getting rather loud. I saw Hikari and Kakashi sitting together at a table a bit further away, and decided to join them instead. At least then I would only have to socialize with one new person, and I had a feeling he would mostly talk to Kari. I smirked internally.

Hikari's POV

Kakashi and I sat at a table, a bit away from the loud table of our peers. It was much quieter, and comforting to know at least one person here.

"So, now will you tell me the story of your sharingan?"

Kakashi's face was pensive, and he sported the far-away look of someone reliving a bad memory. He opened his mouth, but was interrupted by Saki. It seemed she was tired of trying to fit in with the rambunctious (and slightly tipsy) group we came with.

"Yeah, I really want to know how you are in possession of one of my clan member's eyes." Asaki slid into a chair next to me with a muttered 'hey kari', and continued look blankly at Kakashi.

He sighed. "I suppose you should hear too. I don't like sharing the story much, brings back bad memories." Settling comfortably in his chair, Kakashi began his story:

"My best friend gave it to me. We were on a mission, the first one since I became a jounin. I was twelve, and had to lead my teammates in the third shinobi war. We were always at odds, him and I, but I didn't have many friends. I was cold, by the book, and honestly a bit of an asshole. Anyways, my team was supposed to destroy a bridge, but on the way, one of our teammates was captured. Uchiha refused to go on with me, and he went to rescue her. When I finally decided not to abandon my friends, they were in a tight spot. I lost an eye protecting the Uchiha, and when he was half crushed by a rock slide, he had our third team member transplant his eye. She was a Medi-nin."

We sat in for a few minutes, thinking about the story. Asaki broke the silence. "Well that was a very brave thing to do." Turning to me, she grinned. "If I'm ever about to die, your taking my eye. I promise you're getting one. Imagine, Kari with the sharingan. You'd be unstoppable!"

I rolled my eyes "Well you're not dying one me any time soon, idiot. Keep your eyes, and I'll keep my sister."

*AN
BAM NEW CHAPPIE
Thank you to the 4 people who are going to read this, please leave comments
It's pretty long, I hope you enjoyed it :)
-Hanna