Chapter six

Chapter Six: Journey to the Sky

"What do you mean you're leaving?!" Breeze shouted hysterically, "My sister's memory is damaged! Your memory is damaged! And you say your leaving?"

"Queen Ruby is hiring healers from all over Pyrrhia, yes?" Mystery inquired.

"Well yes..."

"And one of them might be able to cure amnesia, yes?"

"Yeah..."

"So there you have it! We go and get our memory back!" Mystery was pleased with her cleverness, "Well... maybe not immediately."

"Has anyone seen Flight?" Falcon yelled from across the room.

"Oh yes he went hunting and said he would accompany us to the palace." said Peregrine, once again pleased with her cleverness. But Falcon looked suspicious. Peregrine had to convince her.

"Shall I bring him in? From the hunting trip that is, I'm sure you want proof, ok I'll get him!" She ran outside, "Ok Flight say a word about whom we are and we will kill everyone in this outpost, you understand?" Flight nodded, "Good now go say you were out hunting and that you will escort us to the palace." Flight did as he was told. Then they took off towards the palace.

"So what are your real names? Because I'm sure your tribe doesn't approve of SkyWings." Flight was studying the map, "Wow whoever drew this map really hates my tribe."

"Told yah so, Princess Mystery." Spector said giving her a wicked grin.

"Oh lay OFF! You know the queen hates SkyWings with a passion." Mystery said giving him a nudge in the air, "Eagle, status report."

"About three days east of the Sky Palace, Peregrine." He reported, "And why do I have to carry the lizard again? I'd rather hold the map." He looked longingly at the scroll.

"Komodo dragon, bird brains." Vision said. Mystery noticed that Vision and Vault were flying quite close to each other. She rolled her eyes. She never got romance. What was the point of fluttering around like twitter birds in spring when you could be out doing something useful?

After about five hours of straight flying Flight suggested a break, "We'll never be able to sneak into the palace if you guys are panting like wild dogs." They found a small river to wash the dirt and dust off their scales.

"Ahh that feels SO good." Spector sighed.

"I'll go find some birds or a deer for us to eat!" Flight said. He jumped up and began to dash into the forest, but Vault caught his tail.

"Uh uh, you're staying with us. Or else we'll eat you." Vault threatened good-naturedly.

"Ha. Ha. Your hilarious." Flight grumbled, "I have never heard of a dragon eating another dragon."

"EWW gross!" Sparrow shrieked, "I mean, sure we use our teeth to fight but still."

"Guys guys guys. Let's enjoy the moment! We, DreamWings, are in Pyrrhia!" Virus interrupted the conversation, "How many DreamWings get to say that huh?"

They flew for a few more hours before stopping for the night. Since Mystery had Dragon and Flight to keep her company, she took the night watch.

"Hey. You look like you could be a statue of a SkyWing. What's up?" Flight studied Peregrine's expression. She just sat in silence with Dragon playing with her tail.

"Hello? I can't figure you out if you won't talk to me."

Mystery sighed, "I don't know what to feel. Am I sad? Guilty? Shameful? Proud? Confused? I honestly don't know."

"It sounds like your are mostly confused about what to do. You've been instructed to kill the SkyWings, yet you are feeling like you shouldn't, but someone has given you direct orders you physically can't break."

Mystery retorted sarcastically, "Yes SkyWing, you guessed it. My mother, the queen who has loved me all her life, has placed me under a spell that makes me obey her every command."

"Oh come on. I'm just stating the facts here! Your conscience is clearly being torn in half."

"How do you know anything about my personal thoughts?"

"Sometimes you just have to be observant on the outside to see what's on the inside."

"How so?"

"Well here's an example from when I was a dragonet: My mother had just come from a meeting with Scarlett. She told me it went well but when I grasped her talon, her pulse was faster than normal. And she kept thumping her tail and looking out the window. Sure enough the next day Scarlett's soldiers came and set fire to our hut." Flight looked away poking holes in the grass, "Mother didn't make it out..."

"I honestly don't know how you feel." Mystery said sympathetically, "I mean, I feel like I should but I don't."

Flight studied her curiously, "About that daisy you were curious of. I take it you like flowers, but not many grow on your secret island." Mystery knew he was trying to change the subject.

"Well I suppose yes. At the moment I am growing a Seirathia tree; it has a white trunk with pink-purple fluff growing on it. When we harvest the fluff, we find little purple pear-shaped fruits. Oh I am also growing some black tulips and narcissuses"

"That's... interesting." Flight frowned, "What's that?"

"What?"

"I keep hearing wing beats but I can't see anything."

"I'll wake the others." She said racing towards the cave Virus, Vision, and Vault were staying in. But before she was even in shouting distance, she was thrown forcefully to the ground. She twisted on to her back and kicked her back talons into her opponent's underbelly. It all happened so quickly, Mystery never got the chance to see her attacker. Now that she was standing up, Mystery had that chance. It was a NightWing, a huge NightWing.

"I am Foeslayer, mother of the dreaded Darkstalker, terrifyer of tribes and Slayer of foes. Tremble and die in my presence!" The dragon boomed. But something was wrong. Her eyes were glazed over, as if under a spell. A blue star hung from her ear.

"Wow you sure like to make a spectacle out of death. Did you pop out of a scroll or something?" Flight asked.

"HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME?" Foeslayer roared. Thankfully the roar woke up the other DreamWings. They all came out as SkyWings, ready to fight.

"Peregrine! Are you alright?" Flicker asked, his eyes never leaving the NightWing.

Peregrine flexed her wings, sharp pain going up and down her scales from where claws landed on her back. "Nothing that won't heal soon." she replied and launched herself at Foeslayer. There was roaring, clawing, falling, snapping. Other than that, Mystery had no idea what had happened. The next thing she knew she was waking up, bright light shining in her eyes.