Part 1: No Promises

Sirius's POV

I was pissed, to say the least. My family was hell bent on making me their perfect son, and I was bloody sick of it. I stormed down the long staircase, knocking over several vases that were in my way. The family portraits watched me in disapproval, making snide comments none too quietly. My mother's piercing screams were stabbing small knives in my brain.

Regulus was watching the scene with wide eyes, reminding me that he was only fourteen years old. The better part of me told me to stop and take him with me; the other half of me laughed and shoved another vase over.

I threw open the front door, not caring who saw our argument unfold.

"Don't you dare step out of this house young man!" my father yelled, his voice slicing through the quiet London neighborhood.

I stared him straight in the eye and took one step out of the doorframe.

"Sirius Orion Black III! If you walk away from this house, you are never to step foot in here again!" the she-devil screamed. "I will personally disown you!"

Ignoring Regulus's protests, I turned around and walked down the sidewalk to the street, dragging my suitcase with my left hand. Once I reached the street, I spun around and flipped them off.

"You are a disgrace to the Black family name!"

I kept walking, trying to distance myself from the ruckus.

"Never come back! Never!"

I walked until I couldn't hear her screams anymore. Once I was immersed in silence again, I stopped, leaning on the suitcase for support.

Great job, dumbass. You just got yourself disowned.

It's not like you liked them anyway, I argued back against my subconscious.

I clenched my jaw, consider in my options. James was in France visiting his uncle. There was no way for me to reach him by morning. Remus wasn't an option. His family wasn't in good shape financially, and I didn't want to cause his family anymore stress. Peter was out of the question; I didn't even know where he lived.

Cassio.

Without thinking twice, I stuck my right arm out. Seconds later the Knight Bus appeared, speeding around the corner. It stopped abruptly, causing gravel to spray into my face.

"Dick," I muttered, picking my suitcase up.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus," a nasally voice greeted me.

"That's wonderful," I said, shoving past him.

"Sir! Sir- I need to give you your-"

"Just do me a favor and shove it up your ass," I snapped.

The man was at a loss for words. Finally he composed himself.

"And where will you be heading this fine evening?"

I rattled off Cassio's address, not even realizing how immediate my response was.

Once the nasally man left me alone, I sank into an unoccupied bed. The bed slid violently across the floor as the bus took off again. I took a moment to observe the people around me.

The old woman across from me was carefully counting acorns, shaking her head and muttering to herself every once in a while. A group of teenagers were sitting a few beds away, talking in hushed whispers. A middle aged man and a woman whom I assume is his wife were asleep on the other side of the bus. A few drunk girls were giggling a few beds over. I looked down again, practically counting down the minutes until I could get off of this damn bus.