two

I woke up to find myself in a brightly-lit room

I woke up to find myself in a brightly-lit room. Everything was white. I winced when I opened my eyes, not used to anything near this amount of light. Tears began to stream down my face as my eyes adjusted.

Finally being able to open my eyes, I took in my surroundings. The room was pristine, much unlike what I was used to. I was lying in a mechanical-looking bed wearing a gown of some sort, and a paper wristband around my almost-skeletal wrist. I guess several years holed up in a small room and being fed food with little nutritional value really took its toll on your physique.

When I examined the wristband, I found it had all my personal details. Well, estimated personal details.

Doe, Jane Dr. Dunbar
DOB: N/A Age: est. 21      
Sex: F Weight: 98 lbs Height: 5'8

I looked at the clock on my bedside table, which luckily happened to display the date too.

June 30th 2015

Holy wow. I was in there for 13 years. Honestly, it barely felt like 7. Once you're in there long enough, all the days just seem to merge together into one long nightmare.

Well, I thought, I guess they got the age pretty close but the name is way off. Who's even called Jane Doe?

I decided I'd had enough of lying around in bed and wanted to stretch my legs. After spending years and years on the floor, I questioned if I'd even be able to walk still. Would I have to learn all over again?

I sat up and spun round, lowering my feet off the edge of the bed and onto the floor, withdrawing them quickly when I discovered how cold the floor was.
Come on, Natalia, don't be a pansy.

I tried again, shakily putting my weight on them. They buckled at first but once I used the bed to steady myself, it was fine. Keeping my hands firmly on something to support myself, I took another shaky, then another, then another. Next thing I knew, I was walking. And let me tell you, it felt good. I wanted to run and jump and swim and skip and dance and do everything legs can do at once. Unfortunately, a muscle cramp in my right calf stopped me from doing so.
"Owowowowow," I whispered, clutching it until the pain subsided. I made it to the door and began to slowly walk down the hall.

Something drew me to the room a couple of doors down from mine. The door was closed and the light was off, but luckily nothing was locked so I entered with ease. A man was lying in the bed, fast asleep. The man that found me.
I sat down in the chair next to his bed and shuffled it closer, wincing when it scraped against the floor and made a loud noise. He stirred slightly before dropping off again. I lifted his hand to read his wristband.

Parrish, Jordan Dr Dunbar
DOB: 23/01/90 Age: 25
Sex: M Weight: 170 lbs   Height: 6'0

"Nice to meet you, Parrish comma Jordan," I said softly. His chest was dressed with padding to absorb the blood from his cuts. I had seen them when they were first given to him, and it wasn't pretty.

"Miss?" I flipped around to see a nurse standing at the door.
"I was just, uh..."
"It's fine, don't worry," She chuckled. She had dark hair that sat in large curls and soft eyes. "You really shouldn't be out of bed, though,"
"I'm fine,"
"Are you sure? You looked pretty beat-up when they found you,"
"I'm sure. Who is he?" I returned my attention to the man in front of me.
"Jordan Parrish, local deputy. Sweet guy, my son knows him,"
"He saved me,"
"You're right, he did. If it wasn't for him, that place probably would've been demolished with you inside of it,"
"And the other guy," I pointed out.
"Other guy? What other guy?"
"The one with the glowing claws. He was really, really tall. And really, really naked,"
"Wait, did you say claws? Glowing claws?" Her eyes widened.
"Yeah,"
"I think you need to speak to the sheriff," She said quickly.
"Am I in trouble?" I asked, worried.
"No, not at all, sweetie. He just needs to ask you a few questions, that's all,"
"Okay," I narrowed my eyes skeptically.
"Come with me," I took one last look at Jordan Parrish before she lead me out of the room. We passed another nurse and she began to talk to her.
"Ruth, can you let the sheriff know that the girl Parrish lead them to is conscious?" The other nurse looked at me with wide eyes, nodding before nearly running off.
"Why did she seem so scared?" I asked.
"She wasn't scared, I'm sure she was just...shocked. Beacon Hills is like the Bermuda Triangle of weird, unexplainable mysteries, but we've never had anyone like you before,"
"What kind of mysteries?" This place had seriously peaked my curiosity.
"Well, we get a lot of...animal attacks," The nurse seemed oddly hesitant to discuss it with me.
"What's weird about that?"
"The attack is worse than the scapegoated animal is capable of, or there's a weirdly specific pattern as to who is being harmed or even killed. Stuff like that,"
"Probably werewolves," I said casually.
"What?" She choked as we stepped into my room.
"Werewolves. You know, half-man and half-wolf, bloodlust peaks on the full moon, allergic to silver,"
"Werewolves aren't real, there's no such thing," She laughed awkwardly. I could tell she knew more than she was letting on.
"Yeah, they are. I saw them all the time. They were always experimented on by the doctors," The nurse closed the door and looked at me seriously.
"What do you mean? Who are the doctors?" There was a knock and a man in a cop's uniform entered. Judging by the badge and the gun, it was safe to assume that he was the sheriff.
"Sheriff, I think you need to hear this,"
"Is everything alright, Melissa?" He asked worriedly.
"Not really. Um...sorry, what did you say your name was, sweetie?" She turned to me. There was a smile on her face but it was full of concern and worry.
"I didn't. It's Natalia,"
"Wait a second...what's your last name?" I could see the cogs turning in the sheriff's head. He was onto something.
"Haverford,"
"Oh my God...Natalia Haverford...you're the girl from a few towns over that went missing fifteen years ago!" He picked up with radio.
"Thirteen, actually. It was 2002, when I was seven,"
"Do you know who took you?"
"Yeah, it was the doctors," The two adults shared a confused look.
"The doctors? Who are the doctors?"
"They didn't have names, but there was a name some of the patients gave them,"
"Patients?"
"The ones they experimented on,"
"What kind of-" The sheriff started.
"Let's move on to that later," Melissa the nurse interrupted. "What was the name, sweetie?"

"The Dread Doctors,"