6- History Repeating Itself

It had been two years and the anniversary of the war ending. Which was the worst time for me since, I heard Lombard was in town which frightened me. But I had recently started courting a man named Roderick, he promised he would take care of me and protect me but that wasn't true since he was going to the country to further his artist career for a few months, leaving me alone, I became vulnerable.

Three years later....

I was galloping across a battlefield with a new army, they had heard about my adventures with Philip Lombard, but I was reassured that he wouldn't be fighting. My rifle was being held tightly in my hand. I still feared for my life. We were shooting soldier after soldier, my horse trampling already fallen soldiers bodies. We had been at this war for six months now and it was exhausting. I was only bought back because I was a good leader and they needed someone to be organised and knew what they were doing, every corner we turned I expected to see Lombard.

But that eve when we were in camp and bedding down for the night. I laid with my back to the floor and staring up at the stars, but that familiar voice was calling my name and I sat up with a start, but it was just my Lieutenant handing the brandy around. So I took it and gulped it down. It was so strong it made me dizzy and I soon passed out on my camping mat.  I open my eyes and it's still night, I see Lombard looming above me. "We meet again!" He exclaimed pressing his cigarette into my shoulder. I sat up screaming.

"Lombard I swear i will kill you!" I yelled head butting him.

"After three years, you're still feisty!" He exclaimed wiping blood from his lips, he sat astride my torso and held my arms down. "I will finish this once and for all" he answered wrapping his hands around my throat and began to choke me, my breathing began to sound like wheezing and I fought for my life. I managed to reach for the knife in my boot and rammed it into his right eye, he screamed and collapsed next to me. I soon wake up with someone shaking me and calling my name softly.

Once my vision is clear I notice it's my Lieutenant. "Are you okay Captain?" He asked.

"Fine" I replied.

"Lombard again?" He asked.

"Yes" I nodded.

"Forget about him, he's not here! Just concentrate on the fighting" He advised me.

"Okay" I agreed bedding down for the night once again. I slept facing the fire the heat relaxing me slowly, my eyes began to close and I drifted off into a deep and undisturbed sleep, I didn't dream of Lombard once. The next morning I awoke to gunfire, so snatching up my rifle I joined my men but however the person coming towards us was someone I really didn't want to see.

Please vote and comment