Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The next day, Kate waited anxiously in the doctor's office. Jim wanted to go with her but she told him she wanted to go alone. "Kate Beckett." The nurse stated and Kate's followed her into the room. After the ultrasound, it was obvious that she was pregnant. "Don't forget to schedule your next appointment on your way out." The doctor said. "Thanks doctor." Kate replied. She did just that. After she got in her car, she called Jim to let him know that she needed some time by herself and that she'd be home before dinner. She went to the swings. Their swings. The swings that they talked at after not seeing each other for 3 months. The swings she sat at in the pouring rain after she almost died and all she could think about was him. The swings where he proposed. And now the swings where she needed sit and think about their baby. 'So I'm pregnant. Having a baby is a miracle. It shouldn't be so complicated. Why should I tell him? He doesn't want anything to do with me. He certainly doesn't want anything to do with this baby. He cheated on me. I don't want him anywhere near MY baby. He lost lost those rights the day he cheated on me. I don't want a person like him to raise or be apart of my baby's life, whatsoever.' That was all the thinking she needed. She made up her mind and that was that. Nothing could change it. She wasn't going to tell him. That way their child wouldn't get hurt. She didn't want the baby to be in the middle of this whole thing. She didn't want him or her to have to go on visits like when parents get divorced. She didn't want that for him or her. 

"Dad I'm home." She said, stepping into Jim's house. "Hey Katie. I ordered Chinese, your favorite." "Thanks dad." She smiled. "Did you make a decision?" "Yeah. I'm not going to tell him." "Are you sure that's what you want?" Jim questioned. "Yes. I don't want him to have anything to do with my baby. He cheated on me and I don't want him anywhere near him or her." "I just want you to make sure this is really what you want. I know you're upset right now but you're not going to feel that way forever. I just want to make sure you're not going to regret him not knowing. What's going to happen when the child gets older? They're going to ask about their father." "I will figure that out when it happens. Oh and what happened to 'I'll support you with whatever you decide?' Did you forget that you said that yesterday?" She said, starting to get annoyed with her father. Seeing the look on her face, he could tell. "Look Katie, I'm just trying to help you. I don't want you to make a mistake and regret it." "I know dad but this is my choice and I'm not going to regret it." She said and went over to the table to start eating. Meanwhile, back at the loft, Rick was in his room on his bed. He looked around the room. Kate's stuff was still there. Her makeup, clothes, jewelry, everything. He wondered when she was going to pick all of it up or if he was going to have to send it to her. All he wanted to do was talk to her. He just wanted her back. He wanted to call her but was very hesitant. Then he thought maybe a text would be better. 'Hey Kate. I know you probably hate me right now and you have every right to be but I really think we need to talk.' 'Probably? Of course I do. And well, I think we should talk too. I need my stuff.' 'Okay well maybe we could meet at that coffee shop we always used to go to. Is that okay?' 'Yes, that's fine.' "Who's texting you? Is it Rick?" Jim asked and Kate nodded. "He wants to talk tomorrow and that's okay with me because I want to get my stuff. That's the only reason why I'm going. And I know he's going to try to get me back but it's not going to happen." Their conversation was interrupted by Kate's phone. It was another text from Rick. 'What time works for you?' 'Noon.' 'See you tomorrow. Bye Kate.' "Dad I'm just going to go to bed. I'm really tired and I had a long day." "Okay Katie. Good night."