Chapter One

Chapter One

..:Rachel:..

Twelve Years Later

“Aaron, you can be such a jerk sometimes. Do you know this?” I groaned, trying to pull my tampons from his hand. Leave it to Aaron to go snooping in my room and find my stash. I even had them hidden in my underwear drawer, of all things. The blood rushed from my face knowing if he went snooping in there, he had seen my most personally belongings. I hid my embarrassment well as I fought to take them back from him.

I didn’t hesitate to try to take them from him, but as I reached over my bed to try to take them back, he moved out of the way and I fell into my bed, my hair sprayed out around me. Being as childish as he seemed to be most of the time, he climbed on top of my bed and started jumping. Great, he was messing up my perfectly made bed and nearly jumping on top of me. I climbed off the bed only to look up at him. He had a smile the size of the Cheshire cat on his face. If I were at his level, I would have slapped it off his perfectly sculpted face.

“Oh, look I’m a girl,” he teased opening one up and shoving it into his nose. “I could use these when I get nosebleeds,” he laughed. I groaned and rolled my eyes. He was so childish at times. I gave up fighting for them and slumped down on my bed with my arms hugged around my legs, furled tightly into my body.

“Get out!” I demanded as I pointed towards the door, pouting like I was upset.

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No,” he laughed jumping off to the other side of my bed, taunting me with them still. I started to straighten out the bedspread around me while doing my best to ignore his idiotic child-like behaviors. I looked over at the empty bed across the room, wishing he were jumping on it instead.

Because this was our fifth foster family this year alone, the states’ people didn’t put us with any other kids because they thought that we would corrupt them. You could say we were troubled. It was mostly because Aaron irritated me so much. Our irritating each other usually led to several hundred or even thousand dollars in damage. As far as bickering, we could go on like this for hours back and forth. We both shared the same gift, hating each other with style, even though we would take a bullet for one another.

“Yes,” I was seriously going to kick his ass now. I tried to outsmart him by crawling over my bed. It worked and I laughed at his hurt expression after slapping him in the back of the head.

“Will you two stop arguing and come down and help me,” Mrs. Jameson yelled up the stairs. Immediately we stopped to listen. Aaron secretly taunted me with the tampons as I glared at him trying to take them back.

“We are coming Mrs. Jameson,” I quickly responded. She didn’t like waiting for anything.

“You know, girls don’t put those in their noses for nosebleeds right?” I asked, enjoying the look on his face as the blood drained from his face as he started to blush. It was just too easy to get him back for what he always did to me. I smiled in triumph. “Get out of my way,” I mumbled as I pushed him to the side and skipped over to the door to walk out.

“Wow is that the best you have got?” taunted Aaron, catching up with me and pushing me towards the door. I lost my footing and I slammed into it hard. I yelped as my face hit in-between the door and the jam. It would leave a mark for sure.

I was pissed now; I was going to get him back. I recovered from the impact, rubbed my face, and ran after him. I managed to come up behind him and push him down the six stairs leading down to the main level. It wasn’t like he was going to die or anything. It was six half- steps that were put there to accommodate the upper level. Since I had no coordination what so ever, inevitably, I tumbled down the stairs landing directly on top of Aaron, who was just recovering from the fall, with an, “oomph.”