Chapter 10 part i

So I wanted to ask that whether u should post my chapters in parts or in whole? I don't like you guys waiting so I post them in parts. :)  vote comment recommend. xoxo

Xxxxxxxx

Matthew bit his lip in anxiety. He did not see Joseph since this incident occurred.

Where was he? Was he hurt? It was almost past midnight.

Or.... Was he...

'Are you saying that your closest companion is behind this just because he isn't around? Fie on you!' His conscience admonished.

Matthew immediately felt guilty at the thought.

"You all may retire to bed." The Princess's voice resonated in the room, dispersing his thoughts like pollen. "You mustn't fret about what happened to night."

"... But young lady, what if..." A King of short stature and a thick beard spoke up. It seemed he was one of the allies of the East.

"You will sleep with no intrusion, I assure you."

There was no hint of nervousness in her voice, nor did her body shake with hesitation. Her eyes blazing with assurance calmed everyone present within the room.

"Goodnight, young lady." They all nodded slowly before taking their leave. While Sebastian patted her head and smiled "My child you indeed are an excellent heir to the throne, my assumption was merely a test for your endurance. Pardon me if it caused trouble to your mind."

The Princess smiled warily in response. "Sir, I believe none of us wants to destroy our reputation and believe me everyone loves their head on their shoulders."

Matthew and his father both chuckled at her words. Even in such a painful moment she had the ability to lighten their moods with her statements.

"Goodnight, Jenavive."

"Goodnight, Sir."

Sebastian smiled at her at her and his son once before exiting the hall, leaving them two alone in the grand hall.

"Mr. Reynard, I believe you should go sleep as well."

"I'm not sleepy."

"You just yawned."

"You are too intelligent too fool, know that?"

'Pathetic... Stupid... Full of folly....' Her memories responded. She chose to ignore them.

"Common sense doesn't need intelligence." She shook her head with a small smile gracing her features.

"What you did before...." The Prince motioned his hands randomly at the vacant hall and smiled. "Was wonderful. I admire you for that. Cyrail has a great future."

'Ha! There is nothing about you to be admired! You worthless woman! I can't see a future with you let alone Cyrail have one!'

Her jaw ticked, though her exterior was as composed as before.

"I'm just doing my duty." She replied simply. Matthew nodded but before anyone could say anything else Joseph entered the room slowly, as if sneaking his way in. His hands were covered dirt and his flaxen hair were covered with green leaves, and a red stain on his white shirt.

"Joseph?"

Matthew's voice startled him that he almost tumbled on his way.

"Where were you?"

"Did Lord Sebastian want something, Oh Lord, O can't believe I've been so negligent that-"

Matthew rolled his eyes, "Stop being so dramatic."

"But.. Was I needed?" He asked nervously, his eyes shifting from Matthew to Jenavive and then to the carpeted floor.

"Not exactly... King Dante was almost shot you know that?"

Joseph's eyes widened in horror, his palms began sweating. It happened every time he was afraid or nervous.

"I didn't ...know I was ...out because so many ....people made me nervous and--"

"Out where?" The Princess asked sharply.

He swallowed looking down on to his shoes. "I was out with.. Lillian-" A pink blushed dusted on his cheeks.

The princess and the prince immediately looked at each other and passed a knowing smile to one another.

"But then why are you so..." He gestured to his attire "Or did you guys...." Mathew smirked, teasingly.

"N-no! I just bought her roses, she said she wanted to see them grow so I- I mean we planted them in the flower garden of her house." The flaxen haired man said it quickly in one breath, his pale face now completely flushed. Jenavive chuckled.

"She took you to her house?"

Joseph nodded slowly.

"And that bloodstain?"

"Um.." Joseph cleared his throat "Lillian got cut by a thorn... So I just.. Uh wiped it off from my shirt."

Why couldn't Matthew believe his words? The Prince never doubted his closet companion and now he was here not being able to suppress the suspicion rising in his chest. Or maybe he was too worried about what happened before?

Jenavive smiled at Joseph before nodding, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Princess." He whispered before briskly walking up the stairs.

Xxxxx

So you think Joseph is hiding something? Or is he the bad guy behind what happened? Pff I won't break the suspense, keep reading to find out.