Chapter 12 part ii

"Matthew."

"Yes, father?"

"A word with you."

"Yes, father."

The Prince stood up and began walking with his father. Of course, Rosalyn followed him. Anger flared within Donovan, if only she weren't the daughter of his western alliance, he would have probably not let her in the castle in the first place.

"A word with you, Matthew. Alone." He uttered through clenched teeth, Rosalyn froze at her spot while Matthew gave her an apologetic look before following his father once again.

"Something important, father?"

"Are you married to Rosalyn?"

"Father what are you talk-"

"I asked you something." He demanded, sternly.

"No, father." His head fell in shame.

"Do you have any idea where your wife is?"

Matthew remained silent.

"Of course you don't! How are you supposed handle this relationship when you can't even give her attention?"

"Father, you know Rosa wanted to spend time with me-"

"And Jenavive? Do you think she doesn't want to spend time with you?"

"But she never said so-"

"What balderdash! So you want a woman who barely knows about you, to cling at you for attention?"

Matthew sighed, knowing that he was in clear error. Of course, Jenavive was a woman with high morale, she would never ask for attention.

"What if Ophelia was in place of Jenavive, who would you have chosen then?"

"Father, please don't bring her up-"

"Why? Are you only the one in this whole world with a distressful past?"

"Huh?" The Prince's head shot up in surprise. "Vive.... Lost someone too?"

Donovan frowned and looked at a certain tree, where a mother bird was feeding her young ones. He sighed.

".... She was betrayed by her fiancé when he tried to force her to do things she didn't want to- he tried to defame her in different ways, spreading rumours about how unchaste she was. How pathetic."

'Being bereft is better than being betrayed.' Ronald's words pierced in his mind.

Matthew felt a sinking feeling in his stomach, why would someone do that to such a wonderful lady like Jenavive? She was smart, brave, beautiful and perhaps the most beguiling woman he had ever met.

Matthew felt disgusted.

No wonder she dismissed him when he asked her about feeling about the marriage. She acted like a tough tigress but in reality she was a frail, abandoned cat who needed a little love.

'Your wild cat.' His conscience remarked rather proudly.

"Where is she now, father?"

"In the library when I last saw her." Donovan smiled.

-------

Matthew was walking down the corridor to the library when he heard the piano playing in the instrument room. He was so drawn by the music that he did not realise that within matter of seconds he was standing by the door silently to see who was playing such a wonderful symphony and when he searched around the room, he saw;

Jenavive.

He leaned against the door jamb and sighed.

She was so beautiful.

The way the light fell on her and the dust that waltz around, enhanced her beauty, as if she was from another dimension — a pretty being from a fairy tale or a wonderful myth.

He couldn't blink, he didn't want to, fearing if he did, she might disappear like a mirage or a dream.

He didn't want to disturb her but suddenly the door creaked causing the princess to cease playing.

Matthew cleared his throat. "Alessandro?"

"Henry."

"Wonderful." He breathed — slowly entering the room. "You always surprise me, Vive."

His words made her heart swell, a pink blush dusted on her cheeks as she looked away.

'I am not supposed to let my guard down.' The mantra repeated in her head, but his presence dissolved the motto she followed for so many years.

She was so lost in those sapphire eyes that a little she realised he was leaning close to her face.

So close that their lips were few centimetres apart.

And then it happened, their lips touched.

Matthew's arms wrapped around her delicate waist while Jenavive's arms snaked around his neck, her hands buried into his soft silky hair. Their warm lips synchronising perfectly as if they were made for each other. They would have never broken the kiss if air wasn't important for their lungs.

He looked at her like a blind seeing the sun for the first time. She blushed furiously and looked away, feeling nervous under his heated gaze.

"My wild cat." Matthew smirked teasingly.

"Shut up."

A little did they know that they were being watched again.

This time by a pair of envious, green eyes.

xxxxx

"What?" The hoarse voice growled threateningly.

"Yes sire, that girl is now married to the Prince of Jevanna. They now have stronger bonds with The King of Cyrail."

He cursed loudly in Italian as he smashed the dainty ornament that was kept on the mahogany table.

"Why is she even alive yet? She should be dead, dead, dead!"

The man standing in front of him cringed in fear.

"And Matthew..... You defeated me once. How can you find happiness once again? How?" His pitch black eyes widened as he pulled a fistful of his hair.

"... What do you want me to do now, sire?" The messenger asked nervously.

The man ceased his movements before an evil smirk spread on his face. "Take a message to Jevanna.... let's have dinner with the future Queen of Cyrail." He laughed like a maniac as he sat on the chair, chugging down another bottle of wine.

Another character more drama more suspense. Now who is he? Don't you all love Donovan's character? He's my personal fave tbh. How is the new cover of the book tho?
Anyways this chapter was dedicated to all those silent readers out there. Love you all ❤️😍

Yours truly
The author