Chapter 19

The succeeding weeks were quite tense, not for the royals and the army, but for the whole kingdom. Everyone feared the upcoming war and the results. People organised special prayers for the war, hoping that they would gain victory. They all knew that their defeat meant that the whole realm would be under the rule of a ruthless tyrant.

No one wanted that to happen.

Every commoner young and old. Men and women helped the army in every possible way. The rice and wheat harvested majorly kept for the army, while they themselves fed on common pulses and fish. They were ready to sacrifice anything for the Royal family

They all loved the King and the prince.

But they all loved Jenavive the most.

The army trained twice as hard as before. More than twelve hours of their day was spent practising their skills and tactics. The best breed of horses was sent by their allies. All of them black with white hooves and a white patch on their face.

Jenavive had sent letters to her father regarding the aid for the war. Dante hired the best blacksmiths to fashion out the strongest weapons. Even advanced catapults and canons were sent to Jevanna.

Matthew did not speak to Jenavive at all for the next three weeks. The was still upset by her decision to take part in the war. He wanted to protect her, like an alpha who was possessive over his Luna.

But he forgot that his mate was a rogue wolf.

Jenavive on the other hand pretended that she didn't care whether he was mad at her or not.

She cared, she cared a lot.

The princess would often send Joseph to check what he was doing. Sometimes, she herself would sneak in the middle of the night to see him training.

He would take off his shirt and practise wrestling or sometimes lancing.

Everday, it became hard for her to tear away her gaze from his Zeus-like body ― glistening with sweat.

While Matthew would sneak in his room just to check if she was sleeping peacefully and would give her a kiss or two before leaving out for training again.

The adults in their mind were arrogant but the child in their hearts reminded how much they had begun to love each other.

xxxxxx

Finally the day of the war had arrived. The army of Jevanna had reached Revagal before dawn, taking their positions the same was as they were told. All preparations were done before the arrival of the army of Loringard.

Men of both sides looked fearless, dauntless, equally muscular and bulky, glaring at each other as if ready to rip whoever they encounter.

Except for Jenavive, of course.

She stood in the middle of the army, carefully holding the lance in her hand. Matthew glanced at her for a second.

She looked like a lioness among men.

Suddenly he felt a sick feeling in his stomach.

What if he never met her again? What if this was the last time he gets to have a glimpse of her. What if this was the end of their story?

His myriad thoughts quickly dispersed when the callous sound of the trumpet pierced his ears, indicating the start of the war.

The next few minutes, everything went as a flash.

Loud cries, clashing and clanking of swords, swishing of arrows, the booming nose of canons and the loud thud of horse hooves created a dreadful symphony of the war.