Chapter Eight: Don't Let Me Go

Tara leaned back against the beams and insulation, catching her breath. It was way hotter up there, but at least they were dry. For now, she thought to herself. "Bree, reach into our bug out bag and hand me my cell, quick!" She reached out her hand towards Briseis as she did as her mother asked. Setting a small flip phone into her mother's hands, Briseis shivered, still feeling the effects of the flu. She watched as her mother looked around and sat up. "I need to see if someone can help us. If that water continues to get higher..."

Tara's voice trailed off as she opened it up and dialed 9-1-1. She waited with held breath as she was met with a busy signal. "Shit!" She shouted as she hung up and hit redial. Pressing the phone to her ear as she looked at Bree and Miss Papillion.

Busy signal.

"C'mon!" Tara hung up and redialed again. "Please!"

Another busy signal.

Frustration mounted within her. "Damn you! Answer us!" Tara pleaded as she hung up the phone. Tears loomed in her eyes as she felt Miss Papillion grab her other hand, feeling the light squeeze of her skinny fingers gripping her. Tara met her sad eyes, weathered from time and stress. Tara couldn't ever remember feeling so helpless. She needed to get Briseis to safety and here they were trapped in an attic with no one to help them. She needed to get a call out. Hearing the water begin to spill in from the attic vents, she sighed, heartbroken she had to ask her godmother such a request, because she wasn't strong enough. "Nannan, I really need your help."

Miss Papillion gave her a nod, a single tear running down her eye. "You have it, baby. You'll always have it." Her hand tightened on Tara's hands. "Do you remember how it goes?"

Tara's eyes burned and watered as she nodded. "Yeah..." She sniffled. "I do." She turned to face Miss Papillion as she sat indian-style. She handed the phone to Briseis. "Dial 9-1-1 again Bree. And keep dialing until someone picks up okay?"

Briseis saw the sadness in her mother's eyes as she took the phone. "Mama, what's going on?" She opened the phone, still looking at Tara.

"It's gonna be okay baby, Miss Papillion and I just need to put our good vibes together. A prayer to recite in hopes we get our call through, that's all. Now, start calling." Tara held hands with Miss Papillion and closed her eyes. The water creeping up against the hatch threatened to distract her focus, as it soaked her sweatpants, invading her thoughts. She gripped her hands tightly, concentrating heard until all she could hear was the beating of her own heart. The heat started to build up between their hands as Miss Papillion closed her eyes. The energy between them was palpable and ripe for incantation. Tara's witch days were over, but struggled to remember the words.

"Matri Lux." Tara chanted. " Oro... ut-adme, ad-te."

Miss Papillion smiled and nodded, feeling a sense of pride that Tara did not forget all of herself. She knew she did it for the love of her daughter, but right now, it really mattered to call on the whole of one's strengths in order to survive. "Matri Lux oro ut-adme, ad-te."

As they both chanted, Briseis dialed 9-1-1 and got a busy signal. When they started chanting in unison, their voice almost one, she hung up and dialed again.

"Hello, this is emergency services. What is your emergency?" A voice broke on the other side of the phone.

Briseis choked. "Mom! Mom! They answered!" She pushed the phone into Tara's hands as she breathed a sigh of relief.

Tara put the phone to her ear. As Miss Papillion laid down against the attic wall. "Yes, this is Tara Devareaux! I'm at 2627 Charbonnet Street. Me, my daughter and Elisa Papillion is holed up in the attic and the water is rising! Please help us!"