Chapter Eighteen: Deathly Disarming

Micah moved through the entryway with Briseis in tow, her light giggling coming from behind him as she dangled over his shoulder.

"Did you hear what I said about the pizza?" She asked.

With a grunt, he moved to put her on the sofa when he took a step and a shrilly cat meow echoed from under his feet. Lifting his foot, Micah hissed a curse as Osiris ran from him into his bedroom.

Briseis slightly sobered at the loud scream of her upset cat. She picked up her head, which felt like a brick. "Hey! What did you do to O?"

Micah shook his head. "Sorry, I think I stepped on his tail coming in. He's okay. He's been through a lot worse before you saved him."

"I love that fucking cat. He's my angel." Her hoarse voice droned.

"Your idea of an angel is very interesting." Standing in front of the sofa, he finally lowered his body to help her down. "Now, I'm going to set you right here." Gently, Micah shifted her body till her feet touched the floor and lazily bent her knees to plop on the couch. With a sigh, she lightly bounced against the cushion.

She wiped her face and groaned. "Oh my God. I shouldn't have gone out. That was a bad idea." She heard a buzz from her phone. "Uh, what now?" Briseis fished around in her bag and finally pulled out her phone.

September 8, 2016 9:56PM

Hey there champ. Just letting you know I made it home safe. If you're knocked out you'll see this text in the morning :)

P.S. That blind date of yours seems interesting. He promised to take care of you. Hope he follows through ;) ;)

~Hal

Briseis smiled, seeing Hal's text. They always made sure to text each other that they got home when they hung out. But this was the first time he left more than just a "Hey I'm home." text. Reading his message, she shook her head at his audacity. Hal was an awful judge of character so of course he would take a shine to a reaper to go out with me. And he wonders why he's single? Her vision barely focused, she decided to text him back.

September 8, 2016 9:58 PM

He's trouble. Hope he didn't creep you out or anything. Glad you're safe. See you soon!

Briseis set her phone down and watched Micah wander around in her kitchen, appearing lost. "Wh-what are you doing?"

"Getting you some caffeine," Micah replied, visibly frustrated. He opened and closed several cabinets. "Your friend advised me to get you some."

Briseis rolled her eyes. "If you're looking for coffee, it's in the top cabinet to the left of the sink. Do you even know how to make coffee?"

"I can read, Briseis."

"Yeah, but can you do the right ratio so it doesn't taste like crap?" Briseis started to stand up, leaning on the sofa arm for support. "I can make it, no worries." She took a few steps and before she could register the movement, Micah was in front of her, pushing her back down on the sofa.

"I can take care of it. What I need from you is to sit, alright? I'll make the coffee." Micah made his way back to the kitchen and found the tin of coffee grounds in the cabinet where she directed.

Briseis felt the beginnings of a migraine and willfully complied. "You're right. Oh my God, I can't believe I just said that, but it's true." She groaned. "Coffee would be ah-mazing right now. If you can inject it directly into my bloodstream, even better." She kicked off her shoes and curled herself onto the sofa.