Chapter 8

Hikari ran face first into someone and fell on her bottom, none too delicately I must add. "Ow!" she yelped a bit, and Jay reached down to help her up. "Oh, sorry Hikari! Wasn't watching where I was going, but guess what?"

"What?" Hikari asked, as Jay fidgeted with his hands, shuffled his feet, with this look on his face. Either he was really excited about something... or he really needed to use the bathroom. Both options were perfectly viable.

"I asked Nya out and she said yes! WOOHOO!" Jay jumped into the air and pumped his fist. He was so loud Hikari was almost positive they could hear him in Jamanakai Village, but she still beamed and applauded. When Jay had calmed down a bit, she said, still smiling innocently, "That's great Jay! ... what does it mean to ask someone out?"

Jay laughed a bit nervously, rubbing his head. "Oh yeah; you're eight. Asking someone out is like... uh... asking someone if they'll go on a date with you."

"What's a date?" Hikari asked innocently.

"A date's where you are romantically involved with someone and go out to do something," Jay said, scratching his head.

"Oh, so you and Nya are married now?"

Jay went bright red at Hikari's casual statement and began to stammer out a response, before noticing the mischievous twinkle in her eyes and the way her mouth was twitching slightly at the corners. He crossed his arms and pouted childishly. "You were just teasing me, weren't you?"

"No, I was actually being honest until your definition of 'date', and then I just thought it'd be funny to see your reaction," Hikari responded, with a sheepish little giggle. Jay rolled his eyes a bit, still cherry red, before continuing down the hallway. Halfway down, he turned back to Hikari, who was continuing to the control room, and yelled to her, "Lloyd and Hikari, sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

Hikari let out a little squeak of embarrassment and fled to the control room, while Jay smirked and kept going.

x

Jay walked into the control room, wearing gloves and a scarf over a suit. Hikari raised her eyebrows- it was a very nice summer day and was actually quite warm- but said nothing. Perhaps it was just some sort of an odd fashion statement.

"Where are you going all dressed up?" Cole asked with a smirk, leaning against the control console. Jay smiled at Cole, slightly smugly. "I'm going out with Nya today."

Kai's brow furrowed as he stared at the computer screen. "Ah, you might wanna change your plans- Serpentine were spotted at Mega Monster Amusement Park. And chances are they aren't there to have fun."

"That must be where the first Fangblade is!" Jay exclaimed, before his expression went a bit worried. "Ohhh... but my date with Nya..."

"Dude, if Pythor gets all four Fangblades he'll be able to wake up the Great Devourer! Get your priorities straight, man," Kai said, looking slightly disgruntled.

Hikari was sitting on the table and watching this exchange, before she very mildly asked Jay, "Couldn't you change the date place to Mega Monster Amusement Park instead? This way you can keep an eye on the Serpentine and still have your date."

Jay's electric-blue eyes practically lit up, and he ran and hugged Hikari. Hikari tensed- the only person that usually hugged her was Lloyd- before relaxing into his tight grip a bit. "Hikari you are a genius and you're my favorite person ever!" Jay ranted-

"Shouldn't you go let Nya know that you changed the date area?" Hikari eked out- Jay was squeezing her very tightly.

He dropped her (literally, he just suddenly let go and Hikari fell onto the floor with a thud) and yelped, "Right!" As he turned and ran for the door, Hikari caught a glimpse of green, scaly skin under his glove.