Gone

Zack slowly drifted to sleep. The next thing he knew Joy was back in bed, light was shinning through the window, and he smelled bacon. He got out of bed slowly so he wouldn't wake up Joy and went to the kitchen. Mary was there making bacon, toast, eggs, and grits.

"Good morning Zack." Mary said while buttering the eggs, toast, and grits.

"Good morning Mary." Zack replied. Zack took this moment to ask her about what he heard last night but Mary interrupted him.

"So your name is Zack, not Ram." Mary said continuing to fix breakfast.

"Yes. It is but I would like to ask to a question." Admitted Zack.

"What is your question?"

"How do you know Joy?"

Mary stopped what she was doing and looked him in the eyes and said "I'm am Joy's real mother."

Zack was stunned. 'Joy's mom wasn't her real mom. Why wouldn't she tell me. I told her everything. What else was she hiding?' "I didn't know." Whispered Zack.

"She wanted to tell you, but I wouldn't let her. She needed to forget about me. I didn't want her to open old wounds." Mary put a plate in front of Zack.

He wanted to keep discussing the subject but, hunger over ruled him. He ate his breakfast in silence.

Joy came in and said good morning to Zack but completely ignored Mary. Mary put a plate of food in front of Joy but, Joy got up and got a different plate with the same exact breakfast and sat down next to Zack across from Mary.

Joy didn't speak to or look at Mary.

Zack couldn't stand Joy acting so rude like this. Finally Zack said "we're leaving today." Mary looked devestated.

"O...K... I completely understand your decision." Zack almost cried listening to Mary say those words.

"I'm good with that." Said Joy with a smile on her face.

That did it for Zack "I don't know why you hate your mom so much. She obviously had a reason to leave. So you treating her like crap hurts you and your mom. I mean she's your mom for goodness sakes! I done with you and Mary until you guys work this out!" Zack turned around and stormed out of the house and down the street into the woods.

Joy came running after him. "Look I'm sorry but, she left me when I was 3. All alone. My real dad walked out on us when I was born. You don't know what she's done to me."

Zack stopped, turned around, looked her in the eyes and said "when did you plan to tell me this Joy, or is that even your real name."

Joy looked like she just got slapped across the face. "How dare you" she spate the words out "you don't know what I've been through. I hope she die for all I care." Zack looked into her eyes and saw that all the warmth and love in her eyes were gone and replace with cold and bitter eyes.

"This isn't you. What ever happened, you're right it's none of my business but at least she's trying to be nice to you. You didn't even think about how looking at you effects her. Every time she looks at you she's reminded about the bad mistake she made by leaving you. So at least you could try to be nice." Zack stared into her eyes and watched the cold and bitterness melt away so all that was left was sadness.

"Fine. I guess I never really thought how this effected her. I love her still it's just... I look at her and... I remember what she did to me." Joy was in tears but she still looked him in the eyes.

All the sudden Zack hears the popping of a fire. Then a dark shadow passes over them but keeps going. His first thought was Mary. He looked into Joy's eyes and knew she was thinking the same thing. She turns and sprints back to the house. Zack runs after her. He runs into her at the house. The house was on fire. Joy's eyes were filled with fear.

"MOM!" Screamed Joy. "MOM!" Joy screams it over and over again.

Zack looks into the house and sees Mary's shoe. Zack made a quick desition and ran straight into the house. Joy screams his name but, he doesn't listen. He finds Mary and drags her out of the house. She's clutching Joy's backpack. Zack carries her out of the house and lays her on the ground. Joy crouches next to Mary holding her hand.

"I have always loved you." Whispered Mary. "Keep me in your heart always."

"Mom, you can't leave me. You... Just... Can't. I just got you back." Cried Joy

"Zack, take care of my most precious treasure. You don't know how much you need her until she's gone." Mary whispered in his ear.

"Mom...."

"I love you Joy. Don't ever think other wise. Promise me." Mary puts the backpack into Joy's hands.

"I promise mom. I love you."

"I'll watch over you. That's a promi...." Mary started breathing fast then nothing. It's silent. Zack puts his hand on her heart. Nothing.

Zack wanted to say something but couldn't find the right words. They sat in silence listening to the fire pop and crackle. Joy sits there crying holding Mary's hand. 'now i'll never be able to get close to my mom, I'll never be able to tell her i love her or have her tuck me into bed at night or hug me when i have a nightmare. It could have been real but, the aliens took her. Now I'll never have a chance to make things right.' Joe thought as she cried. Finally she puts down Mary's hand, stands up and said "I'm done running from them."

¥***¥***¥***¥***¥***¥***¥***¥***¥***¥***¥

Zack and Joy hiked all day and decided to rest in the woods.

"You know I didn't mean it, when I said I hope she dies for all I care. I didn't mean it." Joy said in a whisper.

"I know. Mary knew also." Zack said.

Joy looks at him then looks away and was silent.

Zack noticed Joy was more mad now like any moment she would snap and rip his face off. Zack had no idea where they were. It had started to rain, So they slept under a nearby pine tree. The bed they made was quite comfy, but Zack could tell that Joy wasn't sleeping. The thought of the foster mother and her birth mother dying because of aliens gave Zack the shivers. Finally sleep overwhelmed him and he drifted to sleep.

In the morning Zack woke up late, he actually slept nice despite the situation. He noticed a note along with cash, food and water. The note read:

Dear Zack,

I love you a lot and I can't watch you get Hurt so I lEft in search of the aLiens that have killed everyone I loved. ExcePt you. PleAs keep it that way. Don't get kiLled. I love you too much. I'll meet you In holiday inn in CortEz, Colorado next to the McDonalds in No less than tHree dAys. If I'm not there, I want you to know that I loVEd you. Keep ME in your heart. Forever.

I Love you In my Precious heart fOreVer and always.

LoEe you foRever.

Joy