Shifting

Chapter Two

"Hey, everything happens for a reason." Liam said.

"I know. I'm not jealous, just angry. She was ranting about how I shouldn't trust him and now... well, you see." I said.

"I know how you feel. Mark did that to me once." He sighed. "It difficult to understand why they do it."

"Yeah, I guess." I said.

"I should get going. See you around." He said and left.

I also left and went back to my dorm. I sat at my desk. Why? That's what kept running through my mind. Why what though? That's what I tried to figure out. I gave up on that and paced around the room. I heard the door open. I though it was Danielle, but it was Mark.

Ok, my best friends maybe boyfriend, I don't know for sure, coming to our dorm. I just had to leave the door unlocked. Gosh, I look terrible, probably.

"Hey, I need you to with me." He said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Danielle... well, you'll see." He explained.

I followed him in the forest. He led me to a cave by a riverbed.

"Wait, stop!" He said and put his hand in front of me. "Something's not right."

"What?" I asked.

"Shh!" He whispered.

"Ok, ok." I whispered holding my hand up in defeat.

He gestured for me to put them down so I did. Then he started... sniffing. I looked around and noticed a scent. Cranberry?... salt?... dewdrops? No it was something different. I sniffed. The smell was faint. I followed my nose and it led me inside the cave. I walked down the tunnel and saw the flickering light of fire. I saw Danielle sitting on a rock.

She looked as if she were waiting for someone.

"Danielle?" I asked.

"Tala? What are you doing... Did Mark bring you?" She asked walking over to me.

"Yeah." I said.

"Oh, no." She gasped. "You need to get out of here and quick."

"I don't think that will be happening." Mark said shaking his head. "She won't join your pack, Danielle."

"Oh don't you sass me!" Danielle said.

"She will be a part a my pack." He growled. "I turned her."

"She is my friend." Danielle growled.

"Well, her brother is in my pack." He said. "Liam."

Liam walked in. Was it true?

"Tala, I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I... I had to be sure." He stuttered.

"Liam... you don't have to be sorry." I said and hugged him. I cried.

"It good to see you sis." He said and ruffled my hair.

"You too, bro. I thought you were dead." I said.

"Well, be glad I not." He said.

"Ok, now I need to tell you something." Mark said. "You're a werewolf. Your first shift is tonight."

"Mark, you can't just spit it out at her." Danielle said.

"I'm a...a werewolf." I stuttered. "What?!"

"Calm down. It's going to be fine. You're going to be fine." Liam said.

"Still, we don't know who's pack she'll be in." Danielle said crossing her arms.

"When she shifts, then we will know." Mark said.

"What happens when I shift?" I asked. "I mean... does it hurt?"

"Only the first time." Liam assured me. "Only because it's the first time your bones change into the bones of a wolf."

"Oh... when does the shift happen.?" I asked.

"Tonight." Mark grinned.

"Why are you smiling?" I asked.

"Cause Danielle will be proven wrong." He glared at her.

"I think it will be the other way around, Mark." She growled.

"We'll see." Liam said.

...

The night had come and I sat on a rock outside of the cave tapping my foot. I didn't want any of this to happen. Just my luck, it did. Geez, why can thinks be easier?

I looked up to the sky. It was midnight. I could tell since the moon was in the center of the sky through the trees the outlined the bank of the river. I looked at me feet. How could I be a werewolf? Just a while ago I was normal. Then... the wolf in the forest! That most of been Mark and he bit me.

"When will she shift?" Danielle whispered to my brother and Mark.

"I donno." Mark replied.

"It takes longer for the bitten to change. Just a few more minutes." Liam said.

I just sat there. They made it sound so important, but was it really? No, it isn't. It just important to them. I'm just an object to them, like property to a trophy. I stared at the sky and glared at the moon.

Just then I felt a pain. I crumpled to my knees. The next few minutes it felt like... well, hell. I felt my bones reshaping. Yet, as soon as it started it ended. I found myself as a wolf. I had fur, a tail, and everything that came with being a wolf.

"Oh my gosh!" Danielle gasped.

"It can't be!" Mark gasped.

"What?!" Liam gasped.

They all stood there in shock. My fur... it's silver.