Prologue

The forest was dark and the air was filled with fog. Trees stood tall and outlined against the moonlight and a small breeze caused the branches to sway. Shadows danced with the moonlight on the forest floor, fighting for dominance. In the distance, the hoot of an owl echoed off of the trees.

Among the shadows, a shape moved silently through the forest. Her brilliant white fur made her easy to spot among the darkness. She moved quickly with a destination in mind. The white she-cat kept her eyes and ears alert for anyone following her, although she doubted it.

Her heart pounded against her chest with nervousness and excitement. It's been a moon since she's seen him and she had exciting news for him! The trees began to grow thinner as she went on, allowing more moonlight to escape through the canopy. She kept her blue eyes trained in front of her as she continued on her way.

Finally, she reached their usual meeting place. It was a meadow clearing hidden by willow trees. The clearing was near the RainClan border which is why there were a few stray willow trees on HiddenClan's side of the border. She paused and sat to wait for him. He wouldn't be late, he never was.

A twig snapped behind her and she spun around to meet the intruder. But it was only him. She relaxed when she found his dark eyes and reacquainted herself with his familiar russet tabby pelt. He stepped towards her and they brushed their noses against each other. It's been too long since she's seen him.

"Ivorymoon, I've missed you," He purred, nuzzling her shoulder. In the dark, he couldn't quite see the secret she'd brought with her.

"I have something to tell you," Ivorymoon murmured excitedly. "I'm expecting kits!"

The russet tom didn't move or even blink. He didn't seem surprised at all. Instead, his dark eyes gleamed with something that Ivorymoon didn't recognize. Ivorymoon became unsettled by this. Would he say anything?

"That's great, Ivorymoon," He purred, licking her cheek.

She sighed in relief that he seemed happy. "They're due in a moon," She told him.

He leaned in closer to whisper in her ear, "I can't wait."

~*~

1 Moon Later

"Come on, Ivorymoon! Push!"

Her body heaved and the contractions racked her body. She's been at this for what seemed like hours and her kits have yet to arrive. Blood covered the nursery floor and it stained her white tabby pelt. Ivorymoon was extremely tired and weak.

"The first kit's almost here," Mistypool mewed excitedly, she knew the mother was fading fast.

Then, a kit emerged into the world. Mistypool licked him clean and saw that his pelt was reddish brown with darker spotted tabby markings. He looked like a little red leopard. She laid the strong tom kit next to Ivorymoon.

When Ivorymoon laid eyes on her newborn son, her blue eyes filled with love. "He looks just like his father..." Her body convulsed and Mistypool started shouting. More blood had spilt onto the ground, covering the dying mother and newborn son. Faint moonlight entered the den, causing the crimson pool to shimmer slightly.

"Ivorymoon!" Mistypool shouted, "Come on, you've got one more kit to deliver!"

But Ivorymoon had no more fight in her. She looked down at her son one last time and laid her head to rest. Then her life left her, and she left her newborn son an orphan.