Chapter 9

Skystar led the clan into camp, all of them tired but excited. Most of the warriors heaved off to their nests, as did the apprentices. Wolfpaw and Wrenpaw slipped out of camp unnoticed except by Rowanpaw. He wobbled from exhaustion, his deprived sleep catching up with him. He was about to slip into the den when Starlingwing appeared at the camp entrance, a wild look in her eyes.

"Skystar!" Starlingwing called in distress. She raced up to the blue-gray tom with a look of anxiety on her face. "Skystar, Hazelkit is missing!"

Pineclaw entered the camp after his distraught mate. The brown tabby tom looked worried too, but he seemed to be trying to keep his emotions in check for Starlingwing. Rowanpaw crept closer to hear what they were saying.

"When was she last seen?" Skystar wondered worriedly.

"Well, it was soon before you left to go the Gathering. I curled up to sleep with her and Likackit in our nest." Starlingwing's amber eyes were wide with fear. "I woke up just now and she was gone! Pineclaw and I tried to follow her trail but it disappears!"

Skystar nodded in understanding. "I see..." He walked off to the warriors den and poked his head inside. Rowanpaw stayed hidden in the shadows, watching the events unfold. When Skystar returned, he was followed by Ravenwing, Thrushfeather, Raccoontail, Birchleap, and Goldenheart.

"Ravenwing, you take Thrushfeather, Birchleap, and Goldenheart. Search everywhere between here and the RainClan border," Skystar ordered. "I'll take Pineclaw, Starlingwing, and Raccoontail to check everything from here to SwiftClan." His amber eyes met Starlingwing's. "We'll find her, Starlingwing."

Ashcloud emerged from the nursery and approached Starlingwing. "I'll keep an eye on Lilackit." Starlingwing shot the other queen a grateful look.

The two patrols headed out into the night. Rowanpaw was exhausted, but he couldn't go to sleep until he knew that Hazelkit was safe. He raced out of camp with only the moonlight as his guide. The darkness of the forest made it seem more forlorn and menacing.

Like Starlingwing said, the trail ended not far out and Rowanpaw felt very helpless. How was anyone supposed to find Hazelkit if there was no scent trail? He would die if something happened to Hazelkit. Rowanpaw desperately searched for the scent but all he could smell was a brewing storm.

Out of the corner of his eye, Rowanpaw saw a flicker of motion. He spun around, hoping with all of his heart that it was Hazelkit. But all he saw was a white blur. Then, he heard laughter. Rowanpaw flattened his ears, feeling uneasy at first, but then a voice entered his head.

'Follow me, Rowanpaw. I know where she is.' He recognized the voice as Sweetkit.

Without thinking, Rowanpaw followed Sweetkit. He hasn't seen her in his dreams for a few nights, but he still trusted her. After all, when he had no friends she was there for him.

Rain started to fall, gently at first, but then it pounded against the ground. Rowanpaw flattened his ears and tried to stay under the cover of the trees. His pelt was thoroughly soaked but it was the least of his problems.

"The rain's washing away the trail!" Rowanpaw called to Sweetkit who was only a pale shimmering shape.

'I don't need a trail. I know where she is.' Sweetkit sped up and Rowanpaw followed her. They zipped past the trees, weaving amongst the undergrowth. He hoped that he could trust Sweetkit.

Suddenly, Sweetkit stopped. She turned at stared at Rowanpaw with her big blue eyes. Her shape was nearly transparent. 'She's in the Hollow Tree.' Then Sweetkit's shape shimmered out of existence.

Rowanpaw saw the Hollow Tree, a tall dead tree that was hollow on the inside. It's been standing for countless generations. Perhaps Hazelkit had sought out shelter in there. He hurried through the undergrowth and approached the HollowTree.

"Hazelkit? Hazelkit!" He called out desperately. She had to be here. "Hazelkit?!"

A weak mewl came from inside the Hollow Tree. At the base of the tree was a split barely big enough for him. Rowanpaw slipped inside, scratching his pelt in the process. Laying in a pile of dead leaves was Hazelkit.

The little tortoiseshell she-kit was curled in a ball but raised her head when Rowanpaw entered. "Rowanpaw?" She squeaked. Without another moment to spare, she flung herself at him and buried herself in his soaked chest fur. "I was so scared! I tried to go to the Gathering but then I got lost.."

"It's okay, Hazelkit," He reassured her. "I've got you."

Rowanpaw picked her up by the scruff and began to carry her back to camp.

~

When they returned, they found the patrols already returned. Starlingwing was sobbing into Pineclaw's shoulder while Goldenheart attempted to comfort them. Rowanpaw walked into camp with a whimpering Hazelkit in his jaws.

The clan stared in shock and amazement. "Mama?" Hazelkit mewled when she saw Starlingwing.

The tortoiseshell queen gasped and raced over with Pineclaw at her side. Rowanpaw set Hazelkit down who leaped into her parents' embrace. He watched them happily and tried to shake some of the rain from his pelt. Skystar and Ravenwing both approached him looking pleased.

"You did well, Rowanpaw," Skystar gave him a nod.

"But you shouldn't have left camp alone," Ravenwing scolded him. "We can discuss punishment in the morning."

"Punishment?" Starlingwing gasped in surprise. "There is no reason under Silverpelt why Rowanpaw should be punished. He saved Hazelkit!"

"You're a hero, Rowanpaw!" Hazelkit purred weakly.

"Yes," Skystar purred with amusement. "A hero. Why don't you go to your nest, Rowanpaw? It's late enough."

Rowanpaw nodded and eagerly went to find his nest. He curled up in his warm nest and quickly fell asleep.