Chapter 19

Rowanpaw stayed by Wrenpaw's side for most of the day. He only left her once to grab something from the fresh-kill pile for her. Olivenose came to visit once and the entire time she glared at Rowanpaw with disgust. She came and left without a word.

Around sunhigh, Crowpaw came to visit with Sablepaw and Hazelpaw. "They're so cute!" Hazelpaw exclaimed.

"And tiny." Sablepaw added, her eyes fixed in wonder on the kits.

Crowpaw sat especially close to Wrenpaw and Rowanpaw backed off a little to give them space. Despite everything, he still felt like he couldn't compete with Crowpaw for Wrenpaw's sisterly affection.

"I'm sorry to hear about what happened with Wolfpaw," Crowpaw whispered to Wrenpaw. "I should've been here."

"Rowanpaw helped me," Wrenpaw looked back at him with deep love and respect.

"But I should've been here for the kits' birth." Crowpaw argued passively.

"What? And have you passing out?" Wrenpaw's whiskers twitched in amusement. "I know how you can't handle blood, Crowpaw."

"What are their names?" Hazelpaw asked excitedly.

Wrenpaw turned to the young apprentice warmly. "I haven't named them yet, but I want to name the small gray tom Mousekit." Then she looked at Rowanpaw. "I want you to name the red tom."

Surprised, Rowanpaw could only stare at her. "Me?" Wrenpaw nodded. He looked down at the dark ginger tabby pensively. A tom like this one needed a strong name. "What about Falconkit?"

"I like it," Wrenpaw purred. "I'm thinking Honeykit for the golden she-kit and Brindlekit for the brown and white tabby she-kit."

"Mousekit, Falconkit, Honeykit, and Brindlekit." Crowpaw mused. "Good names for good kits."

"Hazelpaw!" Raccoontail called from outside. "Where are you? We're going hunting!"

Hazelpaw winced and let out a long sigh. "Well, guess I'll come back later." She raced outside and Rowanpaw chuckled.

"I should probably go too," Sablepaw decided. "Briarfrost was going to teach me this one fighting move." She left and it was just Wrenpaw, Crowpaw, and Rowanpaw.

Rowanpaw nodded to Wrenpaw, "I'll come check on you after training." He left the nursery feeling hopeful. How could he not?

Outside in the camp clearing, some cats were resting while others headed out on border patrols and such. Ravenwing noticed him and padded over. "We're going hunting since you didn't contribute much last time."

Rowanpaw groaned inwardly and followed his mentor out of camp. There was a slight chill in the air signaling that leaf-bare would be coming soon. The very thought of leaf-bare and snow made Rowanpaw shiver.

"Let's work on your hunting crouch," Ravenwing suggested. "Now, what's the difference between hunting a mouse and a rabbit?"

"The rabbit will hear you coming while a mouse will feel your pawsteps." Rowanpaw answered without a pause. He learnt this moons ago.

"Alright, show me how you would stalk a mouse." Ravenwing sat down. Rowanpaw crouched down and kept his paws light as he moved across the forest floor. "Good, and a rabbit?" Rowanpaw proceeded to stalk forward silently, careful to avoid brushing against the undergrowth. "Good, good. Now let's hunt."

Rowanpaw trotted off and followed the faint scent of a squirrel. He crouched down and stalked forward like a snake. When he was close enough, he lunged forward. The squirrel didn't see him until it was too late and he pinned it underneath his claws. Rowanpaw stashed it under the tangling roots of an old oak.

Motion out of the corner of his eye caught his attention. His fur stood on end as the shape lunged towards him. Rowanpaw found himself pinned underneath Ravenwing's sharp claws. The black tom held him tightly.

"Ravenwing, you're hurting me," Rowanpaw tried to talk evenly, calmly, but the look in Ravenwing's eyes scared him.

Without warning, the black tom raised his paw and clawed Rowanpaw across the face. Startled, Rowanpaw just stared in shock. But when Ravenwing started to claw at his stomach, Rowanpaw reacted. He kicked out his hind legs at Ravenwing's stomach. The deputy was caught off balance which gave Rowanpaw just enough time to slip away.

He ran into the forest, terrified. Ravenwing wasn't far behind, and Rownpaw didn't want to think about what would happen if he got caught again. Ravenwing came out of nowhere and knocked Rowanpaw to the ground. The more he struggled, the more Ravenwing dug his claws in.

"What's wrong with you?!" Rowanpaw shouted at his mentor.

Ravenwing's eyes were wild with no trace or rational thought. "I trusted you, Rowanpaw! Olivenose and I raised you like our own, and this is how you repay us? You're sick, Rowanpaw, and twisted!"

Rowanpaw's green eyes were wide with fear and confusion. "I don't know what you're talking about! What did I do?"

"You know, I didn't believe it at first. I didn't want to believe the rumors," Ravenwing stared down at him with eyes as cold as ice. "But then Wrenpaw called on you and you were there at the kitting. One of them even looks like you!" Ravenwing dug in his claws and Rowanpaw winced. "But she was your sister!"

It dawned on Rowanpaw what Ravenwing was talking about. Ravenwing thought that he was the father of Wrenpaw's kits?! Hadn't it been obvious to anyone else how close Wolfpaw and Wrenpaw were?

"It's not what you think, Ravenwing!" Rowanpaw insisted. "Wolfpaw is the father!"

"Not many fathers witness the births of their kits, not to mention other random toms." Ravenwing narrowed his eyes in disbelief. "They must be yours."

"I swear to StarClan they're not mine!" Rowanpaw argued.

Ravenwing tightened his grip around Rowanpaw's throat. "StarClan doesn't listen to low-born rogues like you."

Rage filled in Rowanpaw's heart. His mother had been a HiddenClan cat! Did the clan really believe that he was a rogue's son?

"Then on my mother's grave." Rowanpaw's voice was cold as ice. "I swear on Ivorymoon's grave that Wrenpaw's kits are not mine."

Ravenwing eyed him and Rowanpaw stared back. The black tom let him up with a sigh. Rowanpaw watched him head back to camp as he stood there bleeding. In that moment, Rowanpaw realized that Poisonblood was right.

He never will be a part of HiddenClan.