Chapter 8

Rosa stood there, tears streaming down her face and her body trembling. The Captain's gun in her hand and aimed right at him. She had managed to budge his aim at the last second and barely missed Russell before ripping it from his own hand, leaving her where she stood.
" Sneaky move." The Captain smiled as he rubbed the part of his jaw she had elbowed. Her eyes glared at him. He almost took Russell from her. She almost lost him. Her heart shattered at the thought of him. She couldn't loose him too, she just couldn't.
" Rosa put the gun down." Russell whispered gently behind her. He stole a glance up the Captain and saw it. He wouldn't let her kill him. Rosa stood for a moment longer and slowly lowered the gun.
" Good, now the necklace."
Russell had seen it coming. He ripped the necklace off and discretely tapped her back. She slipped her hand behind her and nearly gasped as he dropped it into her palm. He had done this for her, now she had to keep it hidden.

" No." He spoke firmly.

" Me and Rosa had a deal. If she were to guess my name then she can have it."
The blond haired guy that had taken her into the Captain's tent finally stepped forward, his voice clear with anger.
" Cap this aint fair. She hasn't-"
" She will either figure it out or she can't have the necklace. Now stand down lass."
Rosa's ears twitched. The way he said lass, it was almost there was a thick accent peeking through much like someone she knew. She took a step forward and searched the Captain's eyes.

" I know your name." She whispered. He turned and looked at her with his brows raised.

" Is that so? Then give it a try."
She paused for a moment and licked her lips.
" Barbosa. . . Calico Barbosa, that's your name isn't it dad?"
The crowd went deadly still as he looked down at her. Then suddenly all the harshness was gone from his face and a smile spread across his lips.
" I knew you'd figure it out."
Tears began to swell in her eyes as Rosa charged and hugged the man she had once thought was dead for so long. The smell of salt and rum mixed together radiated off of him and drowned her in memories. His arms wrapped around her and reminded her of the last time she had seen him. But he wasn't gone, he was here, he was alive.

" Oh I've missed you." She stuttered.
" I've missed you too my Rosa." He mumbled into her hair before planting a kiss. Hearing his accent as he spoke her name made her cry even harder. After all these years she finally didn't have to search any more.

" I didn't go back partly because I didn't have a ship and partly because I didn't want you to grow up around me with all those rumors and have them spread to you. I thought you would look down on me and that would have broken my heart. So I stayed, hoping it would make things easier on you." Calico explained calmly.
" I still think it was unfair that you made her guess your name."
Rosa turned and spotted Kennet, the blond man who had been trying to help her. He had changed so much over the years as well as the rest of the men that she didn't even recognize them.

" I knew you as soon as I saw you but seeing the necklace only made me absolutely sure that you were my Rosa." He said with a smile. Rosa's heart continued to pound and the cold metal of the necklace settled around her neck. She still couldn't believe it was all real.

" However, I can't just let this lass get away from stealing from me." He continued as he motioned towards Russell. Morgan had hoped that Calico would have forgotten about it, but he knew what there was only one thing he could do.
" We are going to have a Duel at sunrise, which is soon. So I suggest you get ready and meet me outside."
Rosa went to argue when Morgan held her back. She looked up at him with worry and he just gently shook his head. Morgan knew that this duel was for more than a punishment. It was over her.

Russell held hard as their swords smashed together. He quickly pushed and counteracted with a strike. His blade skimmed right by Calico but he missed. He remembered what Rosa had told him right before they started. Calico was a master swordsman, he was the one who taught her everything she knew. He could be surrounded by men and still knock them all down with only taking a few hits. But that didn't stop Russell, not one bit.
Calico turned and swung down, their blades only combining again.
" Say lass, why did you even steal the necklace to begin with?" He asked. Russell growled and stepped back in attempt to get some distance.

" It was Rosa's so she deserves to have it."

" Was it really worth taking the chance dying over it?"

Russell attacked and managed a cut along his chest. But it was only minor.

" I'd die to protect her." He continued. Russell was thankful that no one else could hear their conversation. He went to attack again when Calico raised his foot and knocked one of his swords from his grip. Russell stumbled and that was his mistake. Leaving himself wide open, Calico reached in and threw him to the ground. Kneeing next to Russell, he drew close and hovered his sword just above his chest.

Rosa's breath hitched in her throat. She wanted to look away but he was fighting for her. He deserved for her to watch it all the way through.

But nothing happened. The two stayed motionless, only their lips moving. Everyone grew curious on their conversation was about but not a word could be heard. Before they could even scoot in closer Calico stood to his feet and hauled Russell to his as well.
" Next time I won't let you pass by. So don't screw up again."

Russell nodded and brushed himself off.
" Now, a feast shall we? In honor of my reunion with my daughter!"