Patterson + Pasta

Birds roused the groggy mind of Lev into a more conscious state. The incessant twittering wouldn't quiet. His eyes cracked open to survey the dark room. Only a small shaft of pink light shone through the window to rest on the wooden floor. Hanging half off the bed, his entire right side was frozen numb and drool covered his left cheek. Soreness permeated his body as he flipped onto his back and blinked several times to try and jog his memory into start.

The birds continued singing. Birds never sang outside his window. A flashing light from his desk caught his eye. Junect. Why would Junect be powering up?

With a swipe to his sticky face, Lev stood to his feet, wobbled a bit, and shuffled toward the tweeting and blinking. He leaned against the desk, letting the corners dig into his arms, and placed his palm on the screen. It began scanning. The birds stopped.

A man appeared on the screen. It was Patterson. His grey eyes were clear, his mustache was silver as ever, and his spiked green hair spewed in all directions. He lifted a hand in greeting—or to show off the green diamonds embedded into his arms.

"Lev! I've been trying to get a hold of you for at least a minute, man!"

Lev pulled out his stool to sit and lifted a hand to stifle the yawn threatening to spill out in front of Patterson. What did he want? "Sorry. I was asleep."

"No problem, man. I just want to say, I saw your certification for employment and man I am impressed! It's so cool that your grandpa trained you!"

Patterson had graduated from Higher Learning just fine, but nobody could handle his personality so he was assigned a job on the ships. He retired after thirty years of that and now he owned one of the decor shops.

"So—" He lifted his hands toward Lev. "You're probably wondering why I'm contacting you. Man, I want to give you a job!"

Lev's mouth pulled into a frown. He couldn't help it. Working for Patterson would probably be about the worst thing he could do. The man would talk the entire time he was there. It would be nonstop chattering. But...Lev wouldn't be expected to say a word in return.

"I'll do it."

Patterson's arms lifted in triumph. "Yes man! Be here in an hour." He pointed at Lev, smiled, and the screen went black.

For the first time in seven years, Lev's morning routine of sitting by the bridge would be broken.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The latest Oliander hits boomed out the propped open double doors of Patterson's. Before stepping over the threshold, Lev took a moment to stand and take it all in. Lucca used to bring him by Patterson's all the time. The two would catch up about old times. Although Lucca was about twenty years senior of Patterson. Old family friends couldn't be held down to age. Along the back wall, behind Patterson's desk, were the animals. Patterson's hobby was creating fake animals and covering them with old clothing. They were beautiful creations. Patches of eclectic cloth covered the heads and bodies. Some were completely floral, some were conglomerations of every known pattern, and others had extra things (like fake mods) attached to them. There were a few dozen, at least, from floor to ceiling.

Across the threshold. To his left stood Patterson gesturing wildly with his hands as he talked to...Serafina and Kace. Sera had said they were going shopping for their apartment. That had escaped Lev's attention. Patterson was pointing at couches and they looked completely entrapped in whatever he was telling them. It was a family joke that if one ever went to Patterson's they'd end up going home with half the store. But because of Lucca's friendship with the man, everybody in the Langford family always got a discount.