Undead

Heartbeat racing erratically—of course no less could be expected at being pulled out of the light and into blackness by an unknown person. Or by any person, for that matter. It was a terrifying experience. And Lev often preferred darkness over light but he liked some light. Blinding darkness was not his preferred level of brightness. He was still being pulled and he was trying to struggle, trying to drag his feet behind him, but he'd only eaten in the morning and his strength was sapped. Whoever his captor was proved to be much stronger than he and could, apparently, see in the dark—or they knew this path very well.

Perhaps this was another part of the ploy to keep him here. He wouldn't be able to escape back to Trealles if he was held captive, would he? He very probably wouldn't be able to escape back to Trealles anyway as he had no idea how to.

He was pulled up a bit—they reached a staircase. Was his captor going to kill him? If he was already dead that didn't matter. But the thought was still enough to get a cold sweat started and for his breathing to become more ragged than it already was.

Up and up and up and up they went. It seemed it would never stop. Lev was ready to collapse on the spot and never move again in his life...or death.

They stopped, no longer going up, and Lev collapsed as the grip on his was released. His cheek hit wood floor and smarted, but it didn't matter. Only that he could rest—that was important. He breathed in and out, dust clogging his nose and lining his airways. He coughed in the darkness, the sound didn't echo. It was hot up here. How far up was he? Would he be able to see Trealles from up here? Considering if there were windows of any sort. He was afraid to move, though. His breathing had slowed down do a somewhat normal state, but he felt too weak to do anything, much less face an attacker.

At last he became aware of the light breathing of the other human in the room with him. A few footsteps tapped across the floor, making it tremble slightly. Lev's ear was still pressed to it. What was going to happen?

Lights illuminated the space—a small circular room. By the light source stood Zora. She was watching him and her face had a grand smile plastered on it. "Forgive me for going about it this way, but you walked right past my front door and I couldn't help myself. My spontaneous nature got the best of me, you see." She wrinkled her nose and rolled her shoulders. "I don't enjoy thinking things through very much, I hope you can pardon me for that."

There were no words to answer her. He hadn't found Zora, but she'd taken him hostage. This was a change of events he wasn't expecting. But he didn't believe Zora wished him harm, so he was able to put those fears to rest and study the space.

Colorful drapes fell over the walls, covering windows, he presumed. The light source was a squat lamp that had flowers painted on the vase. There was no shade over the bulb. It stood on a stone pedestal that looked ancient like Lucca's famous door. Underneath the pedestal was a worn, patterned carpet. A couch with patches sewn across it took up a segment of the circle's wall. Above it pictures and papers were plastered. Zora followed Lev's eyes and walked to the pictures and papers and lowered another drape over them.

"I hope you'll excuse my rude behavior. Some things are better kept confidential." She gestured toward the drape and Lev's curiosity was piqued.

But Zora's behavior was so strange. Interesting, to be sure. Lev wished to know more. How did she get here? Why was she here? Had she somehow died like him? Why had she been at his grandparent's apartment all those years ago?

"Why did you do this?" Everything always came out of his mouth the wrong way.

"I know you know I saw you at Mure's theater." She shrugged and Lev's eyes were drawn again to her birthmark. "And..." Her eyes narrowed and a smirk lifted her lips. "Staring at my birthmark all day isn't going to change anything. She goes by Lucky. You'd best only call her that or face her wrath." Zora held up a finger and reached to open the compartment next to the couch. She pulled out two cartons of something and stretched one out to Lev. "On that note, you best call me Lucky as well. I prefer that name above others."