十六

It starts with a headache.

It isn't Taehyungs first time dealing with headaches; he's suffered from his fair share of headaches in his lifetime. A dull, painful throb at the back of his head that manages to sneak up on him when he least expects it.

But he doesn't know what to do when Freya is clutching her head in the middle of the night, whimpering into the pillow trying to keep from waking him up. He sees her white knuckles clenching the duvet, and Taehyung instinctively clamps his hand over hers.

"Whats wrong?" He asks in alarm, turning to face her. He scans her face in the dark trying to catch her gaze, but her eyes are squeezed shut. "Frey."

"Migraine." She chokes out. "I'm fine, go back to sleep."

"You don't look fine. Hold on." he tells her, scurrying out of bed and into her kitchen in search for something that would relieve some of her pain. "For god's sake, where is the fucking Excedrin!"

He finally finds it after opening half the cabinets, immediately throwing a couple tablets onto his palm and filling a glass with water before kneeling by the bed in front of Freya. "Hey." he coos, "Hey, it's okay. Take this."

She does, but Taehyung knows it'll be an hour of two before the medicine kicks in. He can't help but feel useless as he holds her hand and watches her grimace every minute. Taehyung knows this feeling of helplessness, and it has never ended well for him.

"Freya?" he breathes after what seems like hours of silence.

"Mm?"

"I - I didn't kiss you right?"

Silence. "No."

"You didn't kiss me."

"No."

"Okay. Just ... making sure."

Taehyung gets into bed again when he finds her breathing steady and more eased, and holds her close like she'll dissipate into nothing but a memory if he doesn't grasp tight enough.

When the first peaks of light shine through the window of Freya's bedroom, Taehyung jolts awake. The memories of the night's events hit him like a train wreck and he quickly shifts his head to the spot beside him, finding Freya still fast asleep.

So she wasn't dying. The relief of finding Freya sleeping soundly next to him lodges its way so deep into Taehyung that he almost dismisses the whole fiasco as nothing more than a nightmare until he discovers the kitchen cabinets opened and ruffled through.

He takes comfort in making breakfast for the two of them as he waits for Freya to wake, grateful for something to occupy his thoughts. He's just finished washing some dishes when Freya shuffles out of the bedroom with a tangled mess of hair in his favorite bunny pajamas. "Morning." she smiles weakly, and Taehyung can't help but go over and wraps his arms around her. He nuzzles his head into her hair, inhaling the sweet scent of shampoo. "Tae."

"Yeah?"

"I'm okay."

They enjoy pancakes at the table over reruns of the Simpsons, Taehyung occasionally reaching across the table to feed Freya. It's simple mornings like this that makes him most content, being able to just be with Freya and nothing more.

"Oh!" Freya exclaims mid-bite, waving her fork at Taehyung as she finishes chewing. "Let's take a picture to add to your wall."

To this, Taehyung frowns. "We are not taking a polaroid. All the Freyas on that wall died, and we're not messing with fate like that. Besides, we'll have plenty of chances in the future of take pictures together."

"I guess. But I don't actually have any pictures of us together, and I really want something to look at on those nights when I can't sleep, you know?"

"Selfie. On an iPhone." he replies, taking Freya's phone and holding it out so both of them are in frame. They snap a couple pictures, pose like they're in a photo booth, and laugh over them together afterwards.

"Thanks, Taehyung." Freya tells him as they're washing dishes, "This Freya is grateful you didn't push her away like you did before."

------------

surprise update bc im trying v hard to wrap this thing up!!!!

leave some love! 

(also sorry i had to republish bc i accidentally deleted the first one while trying to edit another story oops)