Cigarettes

Elliot's warmth fills her arms. She was glad she would have someone she could be comfortable with. Elliot releases her and looks back at Robert.

"How can you just let the press be on the doorstep like that?"

Robert looks at him, a bit insulted, defensive even.

"You're a cop aren't you? Tell them some bullshit, show them your badge, that way we can clear the way for investigators."

Elliot rolls his eyes but realizes it would be easier to keep the press of their asses. He walks towards the door and Olivia watches him open it. She is soon assaulted with flashes from every angle. The door closes again and Elliot is outside.

"Any of you step foot onto this staircase again and I will have you removed. All of you, stay on the side walk."

The press aren't happy, but they'd rather get the story then be arrested. Behind him, the door opens and Robert gestures him to come inside.

"That'll keep them off for a while, not too long though." Elliot says, shutting the door behind him.

"Elliot, did you tell..."

Suddenly the phone rings in the kitchen. Olivia looks at Elliot in a desperate way, her pleading eyes screaming help from the pain she's in.

"The squad?" he asks tentatively

He already knows what she means.

"No, but that might be them."

Robert makes it to the phone before Elliot can.

"Hello?" he says

"You're with the one six? How should we know-"

Before Robert can finish his sentence, Elliot grabs the phone from Robert's hand. A clear indicator that Elliot is the more powerful one here.

"Cap?"

"Elliot, I hope you and Olivia have a decent excuse as to why you're asses aren't here?"

Robert takes the phone back from Elliot. Elliot's clearly pissed off that he'd been overpowered.

"Captain Cragen is it? We can't discuss the matters over the phone, it would be better if you would come here"

Robert hangs up the phone and Elliot places his hand on the back of the man's neck, guiding him into the hallway. From what Olivia can see while she sits in the corner of the kitchen is that Robert is a good three inches taller than Elliot. Elliot stands at about 6,1 and Robert, 6,4. And James...6,2. Her mind shakes the memory from her brain. They walk out into the hallway.

"Now what the hell was that for?!" Elliot says, whispering in a harsh tone, clearly trying not to let Olivia hear

"The press, they'll do anything to get info, you should know that, haven't you dealt with ignorant bastards who can't leave you alone?"

Robert is calm, clearly the opposite of Elliot. Robert has seen this type of aggressiveness before. Usually the family member who tends to try and control everything. Elliot was a cop, Olivia's partner. Robert knew he had to keep his cool with him.

"Alright. When they get here, I need him to know, properly, and to make sure Olivia can handle it."

Together, the two men walk back into the kitchen and stare at the fragile woman who sits at the kitchen table.

"Liv, that was Cap. He doesn't know."

Olivia looks up at the two men who stare at her. Oh god. The squad doesn't know. Neither does Julia. Julia. Shit.