Part 11

I've always thought of myself as someone who can face the world with a smile on my face. Someone who, even though she is terrified on the inside, can stay composed on the outside and act as though fear doesn't exist. I always thought that I was completely fearless, ready to take on the world with my own bare hands.

But sitting in the back of cold, dark van and not knowing where Caleb was or how he was coping totally and absolutely scared me to death.

The scent in the air was musty and tinted with something I couldn't place. It was as though my kidnapper had sprayed something so that I couldn't sniff out Caleb's location and escape with him. I've gotta admit, although I have no respect and I completely despise her, she is clever.

"What do you want from me?" I yelled out for the millionth time. I don't know why they haven't gagged me yet, I've just been screaming and shouting for the past however many minutes or hours I've been sat here.

"Who even are you? I deserve to know this, right?" I called, expecting no response as usual. I was surprised when my kidnapper replied:

"You really want to know who I am?

"No, I thought I'd just ask for no reason. God, for a smart lady, you really are dumb." I responded sarcastically.

"Flattery will get you nowhere, Alexandria Golde." she joked, although her voice was as monotonous and flat as mine in the mornings.

"Woah, you have a sense of humour? Does that mean you have, like, feelings and stuff as well?" I asked, genuinely shocked. I thought this lady was a robot. I mean, who seriously kidnaps people for no reason.. oh wait, the whole kids-strong-enough-to-rule-the-world thing. Maybe she does have a reason.

"Very clever. This doesn't make me want to reveal my identity to you any more, you know, Alexandria," she replied, dryly.

"I know I don't like you and all, but call me Alex. I can't stand the name Alexandria. It's all posh and poncy and everything I'm not. Ugh." I shuddered.

She raised her eyebrows in a you-think-I'm-going-to-listen-to-you kind of way and I sighed. My body slumped visibly and my eyelids drooped slightly. I was totally beat. I needed to sleep, but I couldn't, in fear of what they might do to me. Plus, I still had no clue where Caleb was and that scared me most of all.

"I'm surprised you haven't worked it out yet, Alexandria." she stated, purposely using my full name to annoy me.

"Well, I'm tired and stupid and annoyed and frustrated and-"

"I get the picture. But it is awfully obvious, you know. Why have you been hiding? Who have you been running away from?"

It dawned on me. This was the dreaded Boss? I let out a loud bark of laughter, which made her face fall slightly. She quickly recomposed her expression to her cold, hard stare.

"You're the big ol' scary Boss? I mean, you may have a glare that could melt ice and a face that only a mother could love, but seriously? You don't exactly seem like the type of person that would kill," I laughed. Her lips thinned at my comments and her eyes darkened. Actually, that was rather frightening.

"You have no idea what I am capable of, little girl. I think you should learn some manners, learn how to respect your elders." With her last three words, she moved a little closer to me until our noses were almost touching. I desperately wanted to punch her in the face but my hands were tied up so I settled for twisting my head to the side and biting her nose. Really hard.

"Aah!" she drew back in surprise and pain, grabbing her now red nose. I felt so proud of myself until she slapped me across the face.

"How dare you, you insolent child! You have no idea what you're messing with here! At least your stupid boyfriend had the decency to keep to himself rather than stir up more trouble than it's worth," she spat. It's rather hard to look menacing whilst you have two bite marks on tour nose, I must admit.