p r o l o g u e

This is the story of a girl who loved a boy.
And the boy loved her back.

Roman Williams was lethal. She tried to hide herself for as long as she could. But of course, things don't work out well for her.

"All I need is to catch one break. One measly little break." Roman muttered to herself as she dug her hands deeper into her coat pockets. She had been staying at a dingy motel room, but of course she was discovered. Tony Stark and his whole gang of superhero badasses busted down her door to find she had left through the fire escape ten minutes prior. She felt the familiar tingling in her finger tips as she pulled her hands quickly out of her pockets and held them in front of her, she didn't need another solid gold jacket. Roman had to focus to control her power, something she spent her entire life doing, but now she was distracted in attempt to find a new place to stay. Roman ducked into a diner as she felt the energy inside her subside. She sat in a booth towards the back, one that gave her a clear view of the entrance, and pulled the black baseball hat closer over her face.

"Oh my god, are your eyes gold?" The young waitress screeched with adoration as she approached Roman, her red hair flying everywhere. The brunette snapped her head toward the table, avoiding any eye contact that would result in a witness that would help the Avengers find her. "I'm sorry, that's rude. Forget I even spoke. What can I get you?"

"A coffee, black, and scrambled eggs." Roman said curtly, keeping the conversation to a minimum. She nervously clasped and unclasped her hands in her lap, eyes darting around the diner. It was essentially empty, a few waiters and a fry cook. Roman studied the only other patron, a older looking dark haired man who had his back to her. It made her nervous, not being able to see his face. Being on the run since eighteen, she was now twenty, caused her to always look over her shoulder and be aware. Roman rubbed her hands over her face trying to wake herself up. In the few seconds she had her guard down a body slammed into hers and another took the seat across from her.

"Here's your coffee and eggs." The waitress smirked from the seat next to her as she shoved the food in front of her. In a panic Roman slammed her hands on the plate, instantly turning the food into gold.

"Shit." She muttered under her breath as she pushed it away. Roman looked up to see the brunette from the other side of the diner had taken up residence on the other side of the booth. "This was a trap, wasn't it." The man nodded.

"Listen, we've been tracking you for months now." The waitress, who Roman cursed herself for not recognizing her at first, was the Black Widow or Natasha Romanoff. But even more so she couldn't believe it took her so long to realize the man in front of her was Dr. Bruce Banner, but she couldn't really blame herself, he wasn't a green rage monster at the moment.

"That's not creepy." Roman joked. Her original plan of playing stupid wouldn't work as she kept glancing at the plate of golden eggs.

"We can help you, Roman." Bruce tried pleading. The brunette girl looked between the two people that had her cornered.

"I'm too dangerous." She finally spoke up after letting out an exasperated sigh. Roman was so caught up in trying to find a way out of her situation she didn't notice the other figures make their way to her table until a hand reached down and picked up what was supposed to be her breakfast.

"Oh I am so keeping this." The man, Clint Barton, said excitedly as he dropped the solid gold scrambled eggs into his pocket. Another man, Roman recognized to be Tony Stark, snickered at his actions.

"So that's what it must be like to scrounge for money." Tony quipped as he crossed his arms. "But for real kid, you need to come with us."

"Or I could make your clothes solid gold so it'd slow you down and I could fast walk out of here?" Mused Roman as she crossed her arms, watching everyone visibly stiffen as they took in her words.

"What's stopping you?" A blonde man spoke up after a moment of silence. Roman pondered his words, trying to find the angle he was working.

"Stopping me from what, Cap?" Roman asked in a teasing tone as she leaned closer to him.

"What's stopping you from touching our skin and turning us into golden statues, that'd surely get us to stop chasing you. So why haven't you done that?" He elaborated. Again, Roman paused as she thought, all the people around her anxiously waiting for her answer.

"Because you are heroes. Heroes are good people, no matter what you've done before, the minute you lay your life down to save just one other person you become good. And intentionally killing good people would make me feel awful." Roman confessed. Another brief pause fell on everyone as they took in her words, every sentence hitting each Avenger like a ton of bricks.

"We need you to help us." Natasha tried one last time.

"I need you to help me."

But this isn't a fairy tale.
Happy endings aren't real.