o n e

Roman had agreed to go to the Avengers Tower for one reason only, Dr. Banner and Tony Stark had promised to help her control her powers. Bruce had explained to her that her abilities were given to her by a mutation in her genes.

"Miss Williams, would you kindly report to the lab, Mr. Banner and Mr. Stark have requested your presence." Jarvis' voice rang through Roman's room in the tower. She closed the sketchbook she had been drawing in and grabbed the stack of solid gold pencils she had accidentally turned in the midst of making her art. Her feet padded on the floor as she walked around a corner to see all the Avengers in the lab.

"Are you guys throwing me party?" Roman joked as she walked in, showing Bruce the pencils that used to be wood. "I would like a pencil that is immune to turning gold."

"I'll get to work on that." Bruce timidly said as he grabbed the pencils from her grasp and walks back to his lab desk. Roman placed a hand on her hip and raised an eyebrow, something was up, no one usually gathers all together unless Tony throws a party.

"Okay, what's the deal." Roman sighs.

"We found another Hydra base, we think it could be where the scepter is." Steve finally admits. Roman lets out a sigh of relief, she thought it'd be more serious.

"Yeah, I'll go." Roman says to everyone. "When do we leave?"

»»»

"Keep up Roman!" Steve joked into the headset as he pulled further ahead on the motorcycle.

"Kids, kids, settle down now." Tony joined in on the fun.

"Who are you calling kid? He's like ninety years old." Roman responded before anyone else was could steal her joke.

"Damn it Roman I almost had that one." Barton grunted. Roman wasn't sure if he was referring to the Hydra agent she just took down or the joke, she assumed both.

"Report to your stations immediately. This is not a drill. We are under attack. We are under attack." A voice yelled from speakers in the forest.

"Oh so there are people home. Good to know." Roman mused as she took out three more agents.

"Shit!" Tony yelled as he, probably to Roman's guess, hit a force field on the base.

"Language!" Steve yelled. If Roman wasn't to busy trying to not get her head shot off she would've laughed. "Jarvis, what's the view from upstairs."

"The central building is protected by some kind of energy shield. Strucker's technology is well beyond any other Hydra base we've taken." The artificial intelligence informed everyone. Out of the corner of her eye Roman spotted Natasha fighting a gang of soldiers near her.

"Loki's scepter must be here. Strucker couldn't mount this defense without it. At long last." Thor voiced. Roman head butted an agent before touching her palm to the spot where she made contact, Natasha snickered at the brunette's slight discomfort.

"At long last is lasting a little long boys. And our golden girl here just learned not to head butt someone without helmet." Natasha spoke as she took out a few more agents. Roman jogged off, grabbing a stick of a tree and turning it solid gold, it would work as a bat.

"Yeah I think we lost the element of surprise. And Roman, walk it off." Barton spoke as he shoot multitudes of arrows at agents.

"Wait, is no one else going to deal with the fact Cap just said 'language'?" Tony quipped as Roman glanced to her right to see Steve, she
raised her arms in a matter that said, 'what the hell man' and swung the gold stick at an agent that tried to sneak up on her.

"I heard him, but I was too busy being shot at." Roman retorted.

"I know." Steve began but stopped as he flipped his bike into some oncoming soldiers in a truck. "It just slipped out." Steve walked up onto the steps and Roman soon followed.

"Sir, the city is taking fire." Jarvis alerted Tony and the rest of the Avengers.

"Well, we know Strucker's not going to worry about civilian casualties. Send in the Iron Legion." Tony commanded as Roman turned to Steve.

"Am I an Avenger?" She asked casually.

"If we make it out of the of this I'll give you my slot on the team." Barton joked into the head set from somewhere in the forest.

"Thanks Bart-" Roman began but was launched backwards into a tree, all she saw was a flash of silver. She turned to her right to see Steve in a similar expression.

"We have an enhanced in the field." Steve informs everyone.

"On second thought, Katniss Everdeen, you can kept your spot." Roman jokes as she leans against the tree for support.

"Clint's hit! Somebody wanna deal with that bunker?" Natasha spoke into the headset. Roman was just about to turn and sprint to help but she heard Hulk roar. "Thank you."

"Shit-I mean oh gosh-" Roman joked as she turned around to be face to face with a group of soldiers. Roman runs her hands down his entire body, turning his clothes and body armor to gold. While the others were distracted with her display of powers Steve took them all down.

"Stark, we really need to get in." Steve pleaded and then looked down to the man who was now wearing solid gold. "Roman's getting desperate, she just made some guy very rich."

"I'm closing in. Jarvis, am I... closing in? Do you see a power source for that shield?" Tony responds making Roman run her hands down her face in exasperation.

"There's a pathway below the north tower." Jarvis answers Tony's question.

"Great, I wanna poke it with something." Tony claimed as he shot at the shield. "Drawbridge is down, people."

"The enhanced?" Thor asked, presumably to Steve and Roman, considering they were the last two to see it.

"He's a blur. All the new players we've faced, I've never seen this. In fact, I still haven't." Steve told everyone who was listening intently to his words.

"Yeah, but I sure as hell felt it. Again, sorry Steven." Roman rubbed her back, the place that hit the tree.

"Clint's hit pretty bad. We're gonna need evac." Natasha said before another blow to Roman's abdomen launched her backwards. When she landed she wasn't alone, a silver haired man was standing over her with a huge smirk on his face. If Roman wasn't laying on her back in a layer of snow with a dull pain in her stomach she would've thought he was attractive.

"You did not see that coming?" He asked, his Eastern European accent taking Roman aback for a moment as he took in her appearance. Roman rolled her eyes as she propped herself up on her elbows and pressed a hand to her ear only to find the ear piece was missing.

"Great." She muttered to herself before looking up at the enhanced in front of her. "Don't suppose you'd take me back to my friends?" To Roman's surprise the boy extended his hand and the brunette took it. He pulled her to a standing position before zooming off in another direction, leaving her alone in the woods.