e p i l o g u e

But this isn't a fairy tale.
Happy endings aren't real.

Roman pulled on her sweater in the new Avengers facility.

"Miss Williams, Natasha requests your presence in her room." FRIDAY says.

"Thank you, FRIDAY." Roman said, her bare feet padding down the hall and into Nat's room.

"Laura had her baby."

"Nathaniel?" Roman said excitedly as she looked at the phone in Natasha's hand.

"Nathaniel Pietro Barton." Roman smiles at his middle name.

"How are you holding up?" Roman suddenly asks.

"I could ask you the same." Natasha retorts.

"Any news on Bruce, I mean?" Roman glares at the assassin for avoiding the question. Nick Fury walked in the room just then.

"One of our tech boys flagged this, splashed down in the Banda Sea. Could be the Quinjet. But with Stark's stealth tech, we still can't track the damn thing." Fury informed. Roman looked at the ground, she missed Bruce.

"That asshole never designed my 'turning gold resistant' pencils" Roman joked, earning a small smile from Natasha.

"Right." Natasha said to Fury.

"Probably jumped out and swam to Fiji. He'll send a postcard." Fury continued.

"'Wish you were here.' You sent me to recruit him, way back when. Did you know then what was going to happen?" Natasha asked the question that has probably been plaguing her thoughts.

"You never know. You hope for the best and make do with what you get. I got a great team." Fury praised. Roman nodded.

"I'm going to talk to Wanda." Roman said quietly. She left Fury and Nat alone and walked to the room next to hers. Tony set it up like that so the two could comfort each other, the two were the most effected by Pietro, Clint coming in close third.

"Roman, hey." Wanda said as she lowered her fist from knocking on Roman's door. "I was coming to get you, Steve is having training now."

"Alright, let me get my suit on." Roman said as she walked in and quickly changed.

"You know that first time Pietro met you, in the forest when he took you five miles away from the base?" Wanda asked as the two began walking.

"Yeah, and I had to walk back, hoping to run into someone on the team because he knocked out my comm?" Roman said, clearly recalling that day.

"Yeah, well, that night he wouldn't shut up about how hot you looked. And he wasn't talking about heat." Wanda said. Roman smiled, even though it hurt her heart to talk about him.

"The little shit." The two walked into the training room to see Rhodes, Sam Wilson, and Vision all suited up to fight.

"Moe-Moe!" Sam yelled as he saw her.

"Hey Sammy." Roman said before turning towards Rhodey and Vision. "My guardian angel and the android that nearly killed me, how are you?"

"I have told you many times, Miss Williams, I did not see you there." Vision defended himself. Roman laughed as she shook her head, the group turning  towards Steve and Natasha.

"Avengers-!"

»»»

Roman walked down the now familiar hospital wing of Tony's Avenger facility. She said hello to the nurses and doctors who were used to her daily visits.

"He's still the same. Not getting worse, not getting better." The nurse said as Roman placed her hand on the doorknob, twisting it and pushing it open.

He lied still, not that she expected anything else.

"Hey, sonic."

The only response she got was the beeping of the heart monitors, signaling he was alive. Roman sat in the chair next to his bed, grabbing his hand and playing with his fingers. "You know, you promised you wouldn't leave me. I'm counting this as leaving and you will have officially broken your promise if you don't wake up now."

"Worth a shot." Roman muttered. She say quietly for a moment, watching his chest rise and fall.

"You know, Barton's kid, his middle name is Pietro. I wanted to cry he's so cute. Not as cute as you though." Roman rambled, no one here to stop her. "And Thor's gone back to Asgard and Tony's off, who knows where."

"Steve, Natasha, and I are training Rhodey, Sam, Wanda, and Vision. I think he likes Wanda and Wanda likes him. It's cute, you'll love it. Probably not though, she is your sister." To Roman's surprise, Pietro's eyes flickered open.

"I'll love whatever you love, babe." He spoke hoarsely. Roman's eyes grew wide, he was finally out of his coma.

"Babe?" Roman questioned.

"Just roll with it."

"No, no I'm not complaining. Just caught me off guard."

"You didn't see that coming?" Pietro smirked, causing Roman to groan. The two made eye contact, and the brunette brought her face close to his.

"You have pretty eyes." Pietro said as he rested his forehead on hers. "They're gold. It fits." Roman chuckled lightly.

"How are you feeling?" She said quietly. Pietro's gaze moved down to her lips, inches away from his own, before quickly closing the distance. Roman felt tears of joy pricking her eyes, he was finally awake, the man she had feelings for, the man she thought had died in front of her eyes. She kissed back, but only momentarily before pulling away. And taking a few steps back.

"Where are you going?" He asked, his accent making Roman want to run back over to him and kiss him some more.

"Well, seeing as you just woke up from a damn coma I'm getting a doctor. And Wanda. Oh my god, Wanda's going to be so happy." Roman said excitedly before sprinting out of the room, turning only to blow a kiss at him.

This isn't a fairy tale.
But true love always wins.