f o u r

"All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch." Bruce said as he went through a computer in Stark's lab. Roman sat on a table holding an ice pack to her side, a nice bruise where the bot slammed into already staring to form.

"Ultron." Steve said bitterly.

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other." Natasha said firmly. Roman looked to the floor, if anyone knew what she had done in the past they'd think the Hulk was a saint.

"What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?" Rhodey said.

"Nuclear codes." Maria said in realization. Roman's head shot up, nothing anyone was saying led to a happy ending.

"Nuclear codes. Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can." Rhodey continued.

"Nukes? He's said he wanted us dead." Natasha reminds everyone.

"Pretty sure nukes would do that just fine." Roman muttered, dropping her gaze back to the floor.

"He didn't say dead. He said extinct." Steve ignored Roman's comment. The brunette ran her hands down her face, nothing was making any sense whatsoever and she was getting a headache.

"He also said he killed somebody." Barton reminded.

"Look, going though his speech word by word is doing nothing but frustrating me. We need answers. Now, was any one else in the building?" Roman snapped, her voice calm but her eyes portrayed the millions of thoughts running through her head.

"There wasn't anyone else here." Maria stated.

"Yes there was." Tony pulled up a 3D image of what Roman presumed to be Jarvis' consciousness, except it was destroyed.

"This is insane." Bruce comments, making Roman nod her head in agreement.

"Jarvis was the first line of defense. He would've shut Ultron down, it makes sense." Steve muses.

"No, Ultron could've assimilated Jarvis. This isn't strategy, this is...rage." Bruce explains. Before Roman can comprehend what's going on Thor flies into the room and holds Tony up by his neck.

"Come on. Use your words, buddy." Tony mocks Thor, probably not this best choice. Roman went to hop off the counter to help Tony not die when Steve put a hand on her shoulder.

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark." Thor angrily responds.

"Thor! The Legionnaire." Steve intervenes. Thor dropped Tony and looked around the room.

"Trail went cold about a hundred miles out but it's headed north, and it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it, again." Thor informs the group. Roman places a hand on her the ice pack, applying more pressure.

" I don't understand. You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?" Dr. Helen Cho says. Tony starts laughing despite Bruce's attempts to stop him.

"You think this is funny?" Thor demands. Roman scrunched up her nose, confused at what was happening around her.

"No. It's probably not, right? Is this very terrible? Is it so...is it so...it is. It's so terrible." Tony speaks, not helping Roman's cluelessness.

"This could've been avoided if you hadn't played with something you don't understand." Thor says, obviously still full of anger.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It is funny. It's a hoot that you don't get why we need this." Tony says, sobering up from laughing. Roman raises a brow at him, at a time like this she needs him to explain himself clearly.