Chapter 31: Jealousy

Riley

I walk in to visit Maya, down the hall of metal white doors. It makes me sad to think that this is the place where Maya lives right now. But not for long, I remind myself.

I can tell that Maya's getting better, I can tell from visiting her weekly, that she's happier. She smiles more, and she doesn't look like a skeleton anymore either.

Maya opens the door, a smile on her face.

"Hi, Riley!" She says, hugging me.

"Hey, Maya..." I say, hugging her back and smelling the familiar smell of her.

"I missed you." She says, motioning me into her room.

Rebecca gets up from her bed, waving at me. I wave back, just because it's the friendly thing to do.

Sometimes I can't help but feel jealous of Rebecca, because of how close she's gotten to Maya.

"Riley, I've been actually keeping the food that I eat down." She says, a smile glistening on her lips.

She says that like it's the biggest accomplishment that she's ever made in her life, and it is one.

I smile, I never thought that I would ever see Maya so happy again.

"That's great, Maya. I'm so proud of you." I say, taking her into my arms again, and hugging her.

I know it must look like we're crazy, but I just really have missed her.

"Are you ready to go get lunch with me?" I ask.

Today's the very first day of her stay at the clinic, that I'm actually allowed to take her somewhere.

Her smile brightens, and I know that she's going to be okay.

"Yep." She says, taking my hand in hers.

"Is it okay if Rebecca comes with us too, though?" She asks, looking at Rebecca who's sitting on her bed reading, but obviously listening to our conversation.

I smile, Maya has always tried to do the right thing. She's probably the nicest person I know. I'm glad that she's finally learning how to be kind to herself.

"Of course," I say, my other hand reaching out to Rebecca.

"Oh um I don't want to intrude or anything," Rebecca says, looking uncomfortable.

"No, we want you to come with us," I say, grabbing Rebecca's hand.

I smile, maybe I'll try this whole not judging anyone thing, that Maya's so good at.

She grabs my hand smiling, and we all walk out the door together.

Maybe everything will go back to how it was, and maybe it'll even get better.