3.19 | Price to Pay

"I'm gonna let you know I'm not ready to fall;when my back's against the wallI'm gonna come out fighting

when my back's against the wall
I'm gonna come out fighting."
Fighting - Saints of Valory

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

WHEN ADI BLINKED awake, there were a few blissful moments where she did not know where she was.

Then reality set in: her head pounded with a migraine, the sharp pressure on her back was a tree root digging into her shoulder blades, she was lying vulnerable and exposed on the forest floor.

She lifted her head with a groan, fighting back nausea. The pain felt unfortunately familiar to what she'd experienced when the queen's soldiers had caught her trying to run from Snow White, when they had slammed a sword into her head to knock her out. It was possible the headache and sickness were symptomatic of a concussion, but Adi did not have time to deal with a concussion.

Adi forced herself to rise, biting down on the inside of her cheek. Her head was spinning; she closed her eyes and leaned against the tree Baelfire had knocked her into while she breathed sharply through her teeth and waited for the nausea to subside.

When she felt marginally better, she snatched up her bow from where Baelfire had kicked it away, then stormed over to Felix, who was still out cold. The sight of him lying there kickstarted her anger at him being the reason Baelfire escaped. She was considering acquainting him with one of her dreamshade arrows when he gasped awake.

Felix propped himself on his elbows, grimacing.

"Get up," she snarled.

"Huh?" he sputtered stupidly, shaking his head like a wet dog.

"Up," she repeated. "The longer we stay here, the further he gets. As soon as we get back, we're getting Ace to give you another knot-tying lesson. Obviously the first did not stick."

"I didn't think —"

"Clearly not," she said. "Let's go."

She did an about-face and marched off toward camp, a little satisfied at the sound of Felix scrambling after her.

When they reached the edge of camp, the two sentries were asleep on the ground. Exchanging a confused glance with Felix, Adi stepped closer to Max and Christopher and nudged them gently with her shoe. Nothing around them was disturbed; no sign of a struggle. Max's twin daggers were sheathed at his sides, and Chris' sword was stuck point up in the dirt like usual.

Adi bent to touch Chris and was surprised to find her fingers tingling: he radiated magic. But why would Pan...?  Oh. Pan was no longer the only other person on the island to hold magic. Regina and Emma did as well.

"A sleeping curse," she said to Felix, simmering. How dare they? It was better than death, of course, but the thought of them invading their home and leaving her brothers defenseless rattled her more than she cared to admit.