Epilogue | Close to Home

"I wake up every morning with the years ticking byI'm missing all these memories, maybe they were never mineI feel the walls are closing; I'm running out of timeI think I missed the gun at the starting line

I'm missing all these memories, maybe they were never mine
I feel the walls are closing; I'm running out of time
I think I missed the gun at the starting line."
Starting Line - Luke Hemmings

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

THERE WAS NOTHING to break the fall, so Adi tumbled toward death with increasing speed and decreasing patience.

All she saw in flashes was the vague outline of something shapeless and fire-blackened, and further beyond was what she presumed to be the dark shape of water. In the short time that she was falling, she tried to conjure some kind of protective force to break the fall so her body wouldn't shatter on impact, but the attempt was futile.

Wherever she was, there was no magic.

The thought barely had time to make her afraid, because as soon as it arrived, Adi collided.

Adeline Morris realized three things in a very short span of time.

One: she had landed in water.

Two: they had landed in water. Three other figures surrounded her, floating in various states of injury in the ominously still sea. It wasn't quite cold enough to be an ocean, but Adi tasted salt.

With some difficulty, Adi dragged the others through the water, toward the nearby shore. It was hard to tell where the dark ocean ended and the dark land began, but once they became too heavy she left them to float face-up in the shallow tide.

They were remarkably close to the shore. Any closer and they would've either hit the land or smashed into the bottom of the sea with the sheer force of their fall. The thought was as terrifying as it was exhilarating, and a pulse of wicked energy shot through her.

This wasn't what she had intended when she threw that magic bean. All she knew was that it was the first time she'd ever used one, and she'd thought hard about where she wanted to go: home.

But this was not Neverland, nor was it anywhere in the Enchanted Forest, as far as she could tell.

Adi waded to shore, leaving her friends in the space where the tide lapped at the sand as she began to assess their surroundings, all the while cursing her own stupidity.

The landscape was barren, a wasteland of charred trees and shattered darkness. Above, the sun was shielded by an overcast sky. Everything was bleak and bare. The acrid stench of smoke burned her lungs; the air smelled of death.

"Something awful happened here," the voice of Peter Pan said from behind her, and Adi turned to face him and the other two.

"Yeah," Max agreed, propping himself up on his elbows to look up at both of them. "We all just ate shit."

Felix, facedown, said to the ground, "I'm going to strangle you, Max."

Adi was inclined to agree, right after she got around to throttling herself, but found that she wasn't listening anymore.