➵ AFTERWORD

i leave you with this quote, one of my favorites from the story: "of course we don't have forever

i leave you with this quote, one of my favorites from the story: "of course we don't have forever. we never did. isn't that what makes everything so much more exciting?"

maybe you're finishing this last chapter wondering what the hell happened, how any of the plot I devised was in any way plausible. and in truth, maybe it isn't. but of all the endings I tried, this was the only one that sat right with me.

it was important to me that adi didn't become lovesick in the last chapter. why make her so hell bent on refusing to fall to (or for) pan for the entirety of the story, only to have her realize wait, I do love him at the very end? I think she does, in her own way, but I (and she) needed it to be a conscious choice, not a "oh, well fate says so, so I guess I love you now!" situation. I think they do love each other, but I also think that their love presents differently than we might expect.

that might just be my personality bleeding into adi, but I did try to make her very different from me. pretty much our only similarities are the left handedness, love for sarcasm, and distaste for love (although she isn't asexual like I am. maybe she's grey-ace or demi?)

anyway, I wanted to leave it up to you to decide what happens next. I don't want to say 'here is what happened to them for the rest of their lives, ever, the end.'

and I want to thank each of you, even if you read this without a single sign that you did — no votes, no comments, no reading list add — thank you. but if you did any of those, thanks a million. every notification makes me smile. i didn't write this for anyone except myself, but the idea that other people might like it means everything to me. truly.

(p.s.: even though this is completed, i still absolutely love seeing notifications for it. let me know what you liked and/or didn't like — i'd love to hear.)