Crying in the rain - Wildlife

Chapter Eight

Wildlife

I felt the branch I was holding slip my grasp and smack me across the face. I gasped and moved my fingers over my cheek; I could feel a warm substance. I groaned and slowed down a little bit trying to catch my breath. I didn’t know I would be hiking with a bunch of insanely in-shape people.

“Emma hurry up, you’re falling behind!” Toby shouted from in front of me. We had been walking forever and now I was second guessing my decision on coming along. I glared ahead of me as I saw Noah stopping to wait for me.

“What’s taking so long, slow-poke?” he asked, nudging my side. I looked up at him and pointed to my cheek.

“Did you fall already?” He asked, chuckling at me as he inspected the injury.

“No! The branch slipped my hands and hit me… it really stung.” I was pouting and I knew I was cranky from lack of energy. This isn’t what I had in mind when I woke up this morning.

“Would you carry me?” I begged causing him to laugh at me.

“Guys, we found a short cut!” Toby and Becky said, turning around to wait for us. Once we caught up to them I looked at the so called ‘short cut’.

“It doesn’t look that safe.” I said looking into the wooded area. The hike we were on was leading into the mountains. The ‘short cut’ was not even a trail. It was dark green trees and leafs covering the floor. Branches with pointy stems screamed out to me.

“Yea, I used to come here with my brother all the time! We used to get there in half the time it would take to continue on the trail… trust me Emma.” Toby said, taking the first steps into the unmarked territory. I reluctantly followed everyone not wanting to be alone. I was finally catching my breath once they slowed down to match my pace.

“Thanks to me, I found this short cut.  We would be out here all night otherwise.” Toby said smiling to me. I glared at him and looked up at the sky.

“Someone’s getting a little grumpy…” Becky said, smiling at me as well.

“Why are you all so happy right now?” I mumbled.

“It’s because I’m here, why else would they be?” Noah asked, laughing at himself. I rolled my eyes and noticed something in the corner of my eye. My heart started to pound, was that Colin? I turned my head to the side but I couldn’t see anything. I must have just gone crazy for a few minutes.

I could feel Noah and his arm keep brushing against mine. I liked the feeling. I looked ahead of us, how could he tell where we were going?

“Toby, are you sure you know where you’re going?” I asked. He stopped and turned around to look at me a little hurt.