Crying in the rain - Saying goodbye

Chapter Ten

Saying goodbye

I was watching myself dream; tossing a turning around in my bed helplessly. I was having a night terror about the accident, I could tell. I was murmuring Colin’s name and I could see a tear leave my face. I watched myself, sad and desperate to wake up. I tried moving closer to myself, but I wasn’t able to move. I was stuck watching myself have a nightmare.

I saw us flying off the bridge and watched Toby’s accident at the same time. Everything was slow motion. I could hear my scream and see Toby’s eyes watch my car. I was getting closer to the water and my body in my bed started to scream aloud. I watched everything at once.

I saw Colin say as he appeared by my bed side holding onto my sleeping hand. My sleeping self couldn’t see him, but I sure did. He smoothed his hand over my hair trying to calm me down in my fearful sleep.

“I’m late, but nothing is going to hurt you, not even a dream…” I took a step closer to myself in the bed. Colin’s head snapped towards me. He smiled gently, watching me come closer to him.

“I do this to you when you’re scared, you just can’t see it…” I could hear myself waking up as Colin’s voice grew distant; he was still mumbling things in my ear and telling me to wake up and calm down.

I was denying the fact that I may or may not have feelings towards Noah for the rest of the week. Becky called a few times and tried to convince me that he liked me as well. Something about how he kept trying to make me jealous and then she spilled the beans about her and Toby who were trying to set me up with him. I couldn’t be mad at her for long though. I knew all along and I played with them.  

Today was the day Noah had to go home. Part of me was sad but the other part was relieved; I wouldn’t have to hide anymore. I walked down my hallway and into the living room. Jayden and Noah were watching the television.

“What are you guys watching?” I asked, as I took a seat on the recliner in the corner of the room, the only chair that looked out the back window.

“Discovery channel, it’s the end of the world… did you know that?” Jayden asked. His eyes were glued to the screen as a volcano erupted in dark smoke.

“I keep telling him it’s not going to happen, but he won’t listen to me.” I laughed at Noah. His eyes met mine and I felt my stomach get those darn butterflies again. I sighed before looking away and back at the screen.

“When are you leaving, Noah?” Jayden asked. My head snapped towards Noah who looked at the clock on the wall.

“Soon…” I was secretly hoping that soon, would last forever. I returned my attention back to the television once again. A few minutes later the phone rang; I walked over to the phone on the kitchen counter and answered it.

“Hello?” I said.

“Want to come over today? Becky said she would.” I heard Toby’s voice through the receiver.  I would have, but I wanted to spend Noah’s last day here, with him… even if he didn’t know it and even if I kept telling myself I wanted him gone.