New Tricks

I open my eyes and look at the ground not a foot away. Looking around, I notice I'm not touching the ground. "What in the world?" I ask. I think about standing and suddenly, I'm moving. My feet touch the ground slowly and I catch my balance. When I'm ready, I start to run before jumping into the air. I almost fall face first before flying straight.

I laugh as I touch the treetops before touching the waves of the ocean. The ocean spray splashes into my face. I peer through the barrier and see many people who are just trying to survive and have given up their evil planning.

When I get back, Evie looks really worried. Ben's there, too. "Mal!" Evie cries. She tackles me in a hug and I stumble. "Where have you been?!"

I'm let go before Ben tucks my head under his chin. "We've been worried. Evie called me when you didn't come back."

"Sorry I worried you. I was in the woods and my phone was still silenced."

"You're all wet," Ben says. He grabs a towel and wraps it around my shoulders. "What happened?"

"Something amazing!" I tell them. "I was running on the branches when I missed on. Just before I hit the ground, I stopped. I was just floating there. I was flying!"

Ben shakes his head smiling as we take a seat. "It's dangerous to be out there alone, Mal. What were you doing running around on branches anyway?"

"Reminds me of home."

"Her, Jay and Carlos used to run around the village and on trees all the time back on the island," Evie says.

I sneeze and curl into Ben a little more. He chuckles before picking me up and bringing me to my room. "Why don't you clean up and get some rest?" I nod and quickly wash up before meeting Ben in my room. After tucking me in and kissing my forehead goodnight, he takes his leave.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When I wake up the next morning, I feel kind of dizzy. "Mal!" Evie calls. When I start to sit up, I feel so lightheaded that I just lay back down. When Evie comes upstairs, she starts to try and drag me out. "Mal, come on. I want you to see this." I sigh and stand up, trying to keep my balance as Evie pulls me along. When we get to her mini-studio, she has multiple boards set up to display dress designs. "What do you think?" I try to look around but it makes me feel pretty bad. "Are you alright, sweetie?"

I shake my head and she takes me over to the couch. "I don't know why I feel so bad."

"Maybe you're sick or it's because of your flying ability. We can revisit the dress idea later. Do you want to go back to bed?"

I nod and she leads me up before turning the light out and leaving me to try to rest.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~❶Ben❶~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When I wake up, Dad is almost immediately leading me through matters of the kingdom. When I hear about an opening I need to attend, I'm smiling and texting Mal. After working the day through, I check my phone but Mal hasn't gotten back. "What's wrong?" Mom asks.

"I texted Mal earlier about joining me for the opening and she hasn't gotten back to me."

I look at her pleadingly and she smiles. "Go. I'll tell your father."

"Thanks Mom!" I call before rushing out. I hop on my scooter and ride over to her and Evie's apartment.

After knocking, no one comes to the door. I'm about to knock again when the door swings open. "Sorry, hiding dress designs. Mal told me about that tradition." She lets me in and goes back to the kitchen. "What's up?"