2 .

I woke up early the next day and went for a morning run. By the time I got back it was 8:52 am. I walked into the house and had to jump out of the way as Scotty barreled past me, out the door.

"Sorry, Lynn! Got to go!" He yelled as booked it outside.

My brows furrowed. Where would he be going at 9 o'clock in the morning. I love my cousin dearly but, how many friends could a kid like him have. Perhaps he was late for a summer science camp or something like that. I watched him as he paused in front of a house across the street and a couple doors down. He met up with a tall, attractive kid that was around my age. They high fived and only then did I notice that Scotty had a baseball mitt in one hand.

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. I was about to go over and introduce myself to Scotty's very cute friend but, a taxi pulled up in front of the house. A woman stepped out and her hands immediately flew to check her bright red hair that was twisted up into a neat bun. Caroline Sweets. She was my mother's assistant.

What? Every top fashion designer needs an assistant.

"Caroline!" I squealed and ran over. "What are you doing here? Are you here to rescue me from this horrid place?"

Caroline laughed and shook her head. "Sorry, Braelynn, but that's not going to happen."

I frowned and folded my arms, shifting my weight to one leg. Before I could ask why she was here, she turned around and reached into the cab and clicked the seatbelt lock. In an instant a figure leaped out of the car and in circles around the yard. Embry!

Wait... did Caroline make my dog where a seatbelt? Nevermind that. Embry's here!

"Embry!" I squealed at the sight of my agouti colored husky.

The dog's ears perked up and it's head swiveled around. When her eyes leanded on me she leapt forward and bounded to my side. She halted just before reaching me, her tail wagging up a storm. A few inches closer and I would've been knocked onto my butt.

I looked at Caroline with a bright smile as I absentmindedly scratched Embry's large ears.

Caroline returned the smile politely. "Your mom and aunt talked and thought that if you had some more familiar company then you'd settle in better.

"I clapped my hands together once. "Oh yes! She's just what I need right now."

I bent down and let her lick my face as I pet her.

"It's only been one day and I missed you so much!" I turned to Caroline. "Thank you so much for bringing her all this way."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Caroline left as soon as she gave me Embry's things. I had thanked my aunt repeatedly, especially after she said Embry could be and inside dog as long as I looked after her.

I was starting to think this summer wouldn't be so bad. No, I had to stop myself. Just having Embry here isn't going to make it all better. But, it did help a little.

I decided to take her on a walk with a hidden motive in mind. I wanted to find Scotty and his cute baseball friends.