7.

We pulled up to the pool and I practically leaped out of the car, grabbing my swim bag that I had brought with me with my towel and wallet in it. "Thanks for the ride!"

I paid the fee and walked through the gate. I was wandering around scanning the area for Scotty and his friends. Ok, mostly for Benny. I bumped into someone and jumped. "Oh! Sorry!"

The girl I ran into was a tall, older blonde who was wearing a lifeguard uniform. She laughed. "No worries, I wasn't watching where I was going."

"Well, that makes two of us," I laughed. "I'm Lynn."

"Wendy Peffercorn," She held out her hand.

I shook it. "It's nice to meet you... or run into you, or whatever."

We laughed.

"Well, I gotta get up to my tower. Have fun,'' she smiled before walking away.

I spotted the big group of rowdy boys lounging in a circle. I made my way over and approached them a little timidly. Ham was the first to notice me and he scowled immediately.

"Ugh, what is she doing here?" Ham grumbled.

Everyone looked over to me. The only person missing was the one they call Squints. I offered a small wave. When my eyes met Benny's, I gave a shy smile. Benny's emotion didn't change. He simply shrugged. "I invited her."

Ham deadpanned, mouth falling wide open. "W-why?"

"Why not?" Benny said, defensively.

This was getting too tense. "Look guys, I can leave. It's not a big deal."

Benny shot Ham a pointed look and he eventually sighed. "Fine. She can stay."

"You can sit by me!" Bertram piped up.

"Yeah-yeah, or like I've got a free spot by me!" Yeah-Yeah scooted over.

Scotty rolled his eyes at his friends and patted the spot next to him. I crossed the circle and sat in between him and Repeat.

"So, what's happening? And where is Squints?" I asked, trying to make conversation.

"We're just trying to decide how long to stay here before we go to the sandlot. And Squints..." Scotty hesitated.

"Squints is kind of like... banned from the pool," Timmy explained.

"Yeah-yeah, like for life!" Yeah-Yeah emphasized.

"Life for life!" Repeat repeated.

"What'd he do?" I asked, my curiosity peeked.

"He pretended to drown so that Wendy Peffercorn would have to give him mouth-to-mouth," Ham explained. "It was genius, really."

I laughed in sheer shock. That was quite possibly the craziest thing I had ever heard! Ham cracked a smile and it seemed like any animosity we held for each other dissipated.

"And he also started summer school so, we didn't want to play without him," Benny added.

"Well, come on. We're wasting time just sitting here when we could be swimming!" I exclaimed jumping up and walking to the pool. I took a few running steps and jumped in, cannon balling.

"Yeah-yeah, I'm with her! Let's go guys!" Yeah-yeah said following in after me.

Soon all the guys were in laughing and splashing around. It was not my most sophisticated moment but, it was fun! Finally, I was starting to make friends here! I couldn't wait to tell Laina. As soon as I thought about her my heart twinged. I already had a friend who I missed so much. I really hoped that she'd get to come visit me, and soon.

Around 3 o'clock the boys and I finally climbed out and decided that we needed food. Ham threw himself on the grass and groaned, slowly crawling towards out stuff.

"Need. Food. So. Hungry," Ham gasped between each word.

I rolled my eyes at the dramatics but laughed alongside the boys. Ham was clearly the clown of the group. Our initial meeting aside, Ham was actually really cool. SOmething in me told me that him and I were going to be great friends. I picked up my swim bag and slung it over my shoulder.

"Where's a good place to get food at here?" I asked.

Ham jumped up. "We always go to Ruby's Diner. It's my nana's diner and she always gives us free milkshakes."

I smiled. "Mm! What're we still doing here then?"

"Race you to the bikes!" Ham said taking off and claiming a head start.

I took off after him while the rest of the guys gathered up their stuff.

"No running!" Wendy yelled from her tower.

I waved. "Sorry! Can't lose the race!"

Wendy just smiled and shook her head.

I easily overtook Ham and sprinted out the front gate. I spotted a group of bikes leaning against the fence to the right not far from where I was. I spotted a group of bikes leaning against the fence to the right not far from where I was. I veered right and knocked into a hard surface. Benny flew by faster than seemed humanly possible. I was stunned only for a moment before my competitive fire was lit. I pushed myself to my limits and willed my legs to fly. I was right behind Benny who stole a glance back with a smirk on his face. I scowled and pumped my legs as hard as they would go.

I was so focused on beating Benny I didn't think about how to stop myself. I tried to skid to a stop but ran into one of the bikes tripping and flipping over it. My face hit the grass and I was defeated in more ways than one. Benny was kneeling at my side the next moment.

"Are you ok?" Concern was evident in his face and his brows were scrunched up in worry.

I, on the other hand, burst out laughing. I rubbed the side of my face where my cheek met grass. I was almost certain I had a grass stain on my face. Benny's face twisted in confusion which only made me laugh harder.

"Lynn! Are you ok?" Ham said as the rest of the guys caught up and gathered around.

"Yeah!" I said between fits of giggles. "I guess I forgot how to brake."

The guys chuckled. Benny shook his head and extended his hand towards me. I took it and let him haul me to my feet.

"Next time, I'm going to beat you," I declared.

"Yeah, right. Next time we'll bring a pillow to cushion your fall next time you decide to tackle my bike," Benny teased.

Was that an actual joke? From Benny? I finally got some actual emotion from Benny 'the jet' Rodriguez. I decided to take the race as a victory for me.

The guys climbed on their bikes and I quickly realized that I didn't have a bike to go with them on. Nor had I even considered whether or not I was invited to tag along.

"C'mon, climb on," Benny snapped me out of my humiliated thoughts.

He patted the handlebars of his bike and I had to look away to keep from blushing. I pretended to look at the pool while I took a deep breath. I climbed on and held onto the inner part of the handlebars so I wouldn't get in Benny's way. He took the handle bars and, for a second, our hands brushed against each other before he scooted them over. We took off with Benny and I leading the pack.

Lunch at Ruby's was really good. I got a bacon cheeseburger with sweet potato fries and a vanilla milkshake. The boys all seemed surprised that I got that much food. I didn't see why. A girl's gotta eat too, after all. After lunch we all climbed on the bikes again and took off.

I was still completely clueless on where we were so I had no idea where we were going. Though, if I knew anything about these guys, it was probably to the Sandlot. But, I was there. Were they going to let me stay with them? Or maybe they were taking me home so they can go play like they do everyday.