5.

Despite Scotty's directions, I still got a little lost. But, I finally made it back to the house. I put Embry in the backyard and stormed off to my room. I flopped down on my bed and screamed into my pillow.

My aunt came flying into the room. "Braelynn! What's wrong?"

I turned to face her. "Nothing. Sorry, I didn't think anyone was home.

My aunt offered a small small, which meant she didn't believe me when I said nothing was wrong. She sat on the bed next to me. "Braelynn, I know we haven't always been the closest but, I hope you know you can talk to me. I have two perfectly good ears here and ready to listen."

And with that, I burst into tears. I fell into my aunt's ready arms and sobbed as she held me.

"I-I'm so sorry. I'm grateful that y-you're letting me stay here but, I'm s-so miserable and confused and l-lonely."

"Oh, my darling," She smoothed my hair. "What happened?"

So, I told her. I told her I didn't want to come here in the first place, how I missed my friends in New York, how I got in a fight with Scotty's friends. All of it. She as she promised and listened. Her eyes narrowed when I told her about the fight.

Braelynn, give them time. They're just dumb boys. They aren't very welcoming to new people, especially not as girl as beautiful as you. They're probably intimidated by you," she winked and stood. "I need to get dinner started. Do you want to help? It might help you get your mind off everything."

I smiled and jumped off the bed. I wiped my tears away and nodded. "That would be great." I loved cooking.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So far, making spaghetti and meatballs has been my favorite thing since moving here. I boiled the water and cooked the pasta while telling my aunt all about my life in New York. Then, we made homemade meatballs while my aunt told my all about her childhood growing up with my mom.

Scotty came in ust before the sunset, throwing his glove on the table and running straight to the bathroom to wash up. At least my cousin had some manners though, I suspected my aunt wouldn't let Scotty have dinner until he cleaned up.

My aunt disappeared down the halls as Johnnie, who must've just woken up from his nap, started crying. Sctty reentered the room and sat down at the table. I wasn't sure what to say and I really didn't want to get into another argument. So, I sat down at the table next to Scotty in silence.

Scotty huffed. "I'm sorry, Lynn. I shouldn't have said what I did."

I shrugged. "Yeah, it kind of sucked that you didn't back me up. I mean, we are family."

"I know," Scotty mumbled.

"But, I totally get it. They're your friends and I clearly didn't make the best first impression. So, I'm sorry, too."

"I'll have your back from now on." Scotty held his hand up.

"And I'll have yours... and try not to insult baseball again," I reciprocated and we high-fived.

"Excellent, now that you two are friends again, let's eat," My aunt placed a hand on Scotty's shoulder.

We both grinned at each other and gorged ourselves on spaghetti and meatballs.