16. Science

My stomach let out a painful growl, but I refused to touch the food before me.

"I have a question," I asked, as Jasper scooped up the last remnants of his dessert. "Were you Storeroom Stalker?"

He tilted his head, and his eyebrows drew close ever so slightly. "I beg your pardon?"

I debated for awhile, and then told him everything.

"Hmm. Interesting. Well I can tell you for sure that it isn't a Blackcroft. The only people who know where you are right now are me and Damian. Our little group is in the lead of the race so far. And I intend to maintain it that way."

If this guy had his own custom-made shirt, it would be

but with much less flair of course.

"So! Red or blue?" 

I blinked. "Excuse me?"

"Pick a colour, red or blue." Jasper snapped his fingers and a waiter materialized out of thin air with the bill. He barely looked at it but just handed over his credit card. 

Oooh, an AMEX Centurion! The most exclusive credit card in the world! 

"Wow. How quickly you change the topic. I'm guessing you're not going to tell me what it's for."

"My patience is running thin, sweetheart." I was beginning to learn that in Jasper's books, term of endearment equaled to a demand for me to comply. It was a warning.

"Blue."

"Excellent. Now. Musgravite or red beryl?"

"What?"

He sighed, impatient. "Purple or red?"

"Um. Purple."

"Good." From somewhere within his suit - yes, he was wearing a suit, black no less - he pulled out a cream-colored envelope and handed it to me. "I expect you to be on time. I'll fetch you at your apartment."

Of course he knew where I lived. I opened the envelope and took out the card, reading it. A pause. "I don't have the clothes."

"I'll handle that. Just dress as usual, and be on time for when I pick you up." The waiter came back with Jasper's credit card and he stood up, leaving the table, not caring if I followed.

I was seething inside. The invitation card crumpled beneath my fingers, until it was nothing but another wrecked piece of paper. 

No matter how far I run, the men still control my life.

*

The good news was, only my cafeteria table had heard Jasper's announcement. And the people who saw me leaving with  him assumed he was a relative of sorts. I even had a girl come up to me to ask if she could get his contact number.