Chapter 3

I sat on the bench outside of the school, waiting for Phil.

Wow, that was a sentence I never thought would exist.

It didn't take as long as I would have hoped for Phil to show up. After 5 minutes of waiting, someone came up behind me and pushed me off the bench.

Guess who it was.

"Ow! What the hell, Phil?"

He just stood there laughing. "You should really keep your guard up, gay boy! That was too easy!"

I glared at him, but kept silent.

"Come on, then," he said after his laughing fit. "Lead the way."

I rolled my eyes, but obeyed anyway.

I could hear the sound of his boots walking behind me, and it was unsettling, to say the least.

"Why do you wear that stuff, anyway?"

Phil looked at me, confused. "What stuff?"

I gestured to nothing in particular. "You know, all those piercings and things. It just seems like such a hassle."

He raised an eyebrow. "Are you insulting the way I look?"

"N-No, I w-was just asking..." I stammered. I wish I wasn't so afraid of him, but there was something about his voice that just struck fear into me.

Probably because I associated it with almost all of my bad memories.

I didn't live very far away, so it didn't take us long to reach my doorstep. I sighed as I unlocked the door.

"Mum! I'm home!" I called as I entered the house. Phil was right behind me.

"Take your shoes off, please," I muttered. I was a little shocked when he actually listened to me.

"Dan?" My mom poked her head out from around the corner. She was in the kitchen, probably getting ready to cook something.

"Hey, mum. Whatcha up to?" I asked, going over to give her a kiss. Phil just stood by the doorway and watched us intently.

"I was just getting ready to make dinner. I wanted to get an early start since it takes a while to make. Who's this?" She gestured to Phil.

Before I could say anything, Phil spoke up. "Hello, Mrs. Howell. I-I'm Phil. Dan and I were partnered together for an art project."

My mum smiled at him. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Phil! Were you planning on staying for dinner?"

"Um...i-if it's no trouble..." Phil rubbed the back of his neck and rocked back on his heels.

I frowned and tried to figure out what he was doing. He was acting so unlike himself and it was making me paranoid.

"Alright! I'll make an extra serving, then. Why don't you boys go upstairs and get started on your project?"

"Good idea, mum," I monotoned, grabbing Phil's wrist and dragging him upstairs to my room.