Chapter 7

I'll admit, I had my doubt when Phil said he wanted to change. But days passed without incident. Days turned into weeks, and before I knew it Phil and I had been friends for almost a month.

We were sitting in my room, working on the finishing touches for our art project, when Phil said something completely unexpected.

"Hey, Dan?"

"Yes, Phil?"

"Do you trust me?"

I looked at him for a few seconds before responding. "No. I actually intend on knocking you unconscious tonight and throwing you into the river so that you can't potentially kill me when I'm not looking."

Phil hit me with a pillow. "Dan! Be serious for a second, yeah? Do you trust me?"

"Of course I trust you, you twit! Now, if you would have asked me that a month ago, the answer would have been the exact opposite. But yeah, I trust you now. Why?"

I didn't get an answer. What I got instead was a tackle hug that resulted in both of us laying on the floor of my bedroom, laughing our asses off because we were weirdos.

I started to get up, but Phil shifted so he was entirely on top of me. I tried to push him off, but he didn't move.

"Phil! Get off of me!"

He buried his face in my chest. "No!"

"Why not?"

He looked up at me, and I couldn't help but think that he looked really cute like that. "Because you're comfy."

I laughed. "You're an idiot."

"Your mum's a spoon."

***

We had three days until our presentation was due, but we were already done. Phil was laying on my bed playing Tetris and I was sitting on the floor watching him.

"Hey, Phil?"

"Hmm?" He was completely focused on the game.

"Are you gay?"

"I'm bisexual. Why?"

"Just wondering."

Over the past few days, I had begun noticing things about Phil that I normally wouldn't have. Like the way his eyes seemed to be three different colors at the same time, or the way his smile seemed to brighten up the room.

I had a theory that I was falling for him, but I kind of hoped that wasn't true.

"Dan?"

"Yes, Phil?"

"Are you actually gay?"

"Yeah...I thought you knew that."

"I was actually just guessing."

We stayed quiet for a few minutes after that. The only sound in the room was Phil pressing buttons and the sounds of the video game.

I sighed. "Remember the first time you slept over and you wanted to play Truth or Dare?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Do you want to play that now?"

Phil paused his game and turned to look at me. "Sure. Tetris was getting kind of boring anyway."

He sat up and I moved to sit across from him on the bed. "Do you want to go first?"

"Sure. Truth or dare, Dan?" Phil had a smirk on his face that meant I was screwed either way.

"Uh...I'll start with truth."

"Do you have a crush on anyone?"

I let out a small laugh. "Wow, Phil. Very original question."

Phil shrugged. "Answer it."

"Yes." And it's you. "Truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"Um...I dare you to lick the carpet."

"Eww! Why?"

"Because I couldn't think of anything else! Now go!"

Phil reluctantly slid off the bed and got down on all fours. "Are there any stains on this carpet that I should know about?"

I just winked at him, trying to hold back laughter.

"I hate you," he muttered as he completed the task.

Once he was back on the bed, I let out the laughter I had been holding.

"You're dare was stupid. Truth or dare?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Think you could do better?"

Phil shrugged. "Maybe. Wanna find out?"

"Sure. Why not? Dare, my good man."

"I want you to stick your head out the window and scream 'I love Justin Bieber' as loud as you can."

"No! Anything but that, please!"

Phil was laughing so hard he could barely breathe.

"Phil! I swear, I'll do anything! Just not that! Please!"

He calmed enough to answer. "Fine. Then I dare you to kiss whoever you like tomorrow at lunch."

I froze. I couldn't do that! No way! You did say anything...

I sighed. "Fine. I'll do it."

"Really?!"

"Yes, you twit! I'll do your stupid dare!"

I'm gonna regret this...