six

just want to say a quick thank you for all the love, you're all amazing <3
~~~
Dear Em,
I am sitting in this cafe in a red-cushioned booth bordered by wood. It is 12:46 in the afternoon, almost ninety degrees outside. But it's not the temperature that has me hot.

There's a guy. He's sitting at a table for two, alone. A cup of black coffee is in front of him, a croissant beside that, both untouched. He's sitting beside the window, the daylight adding contrast to his features, making them sharp, pronounced. He looks worried. Eyebrows slightly furrowed, plump lips parted minimally as his fingers run back and forth in his chocolate hair. He's beautiful.

Ember, he was the most beautiful person I've ever seen, and I prepared myself to go talk to him, maybe put a smile on his face because the hatred had not yet reached my heart. I was ready... and then I thought of you.
Just the smallest thought of you was all it took to make me feel completely and sickeningly guilty. Suddenly my stomach was churning and twisting, and my eyes tore away from the man. I didn't allow myself to think about him. Do you know why, Em?

What if he wants to get back together? What if he still loves me?

That's what I thought to myself, and I hate myself for being so pathetic, so... hopeful that you'd ever love me again, ever care. Hope is just a four letter word, yet it is such a powerful thing. Such a weak thing. And it wasn't until I got up and left that cafe that I realized how pathetically hopeful I was, and so I did something that I should've done so long ago.

I lifted my head, squared my shoulders until I was standing tall again, in turn saying goodbye to making myself smaller for you, and then, Ember Lacey, I let you go.

Freely,
Nyssa