Chapter 5 - Busy Baby Basics

All through May I had tried my best to hide my ever growing baby bump. I also tried my best to make up excuses to my friends to say when I skipped school for the first two weeks, constantly going for doctor appointments.

Because I had no medical history or normal check ups before the pregnancy, I had alot to catch up on.

The first appointments I had were to pick up prenatals and see if I needed a counselor. I declined the counselor though, because I already knew whay they were like and I didn't need help or anyone to talk my feelings through with.

Next, I had to get a family doctor. Because of my condition though, I was given a set of four doctors; I would cycle through one each visit and when I was due to give labor, I would have one of the four doctors there. Probably a comfort thing.

My next appointments were to get blood tests, checking for any stds, infections and blood problems. When those tests came back clean, I was to start my prenatal visits.

My prenatal visits were simple.
The nurse would weigh me, make me pee in a cup and then let me wait for the doctor. When the doctor arrived, he checked my measurements, asked how I was feeling and if I had concerns, and measured my bump. The doctor often also did a sonogram of the babies heartbeat.
The appointment took no longer then 10 to 15 minutes, everytime.

---------------------------------------------------------

Being pregnant while in highschool (especially during the last months, mind you) is the worst and best thing to happen.

In my situation, I only had a month and a half of the pregnancy to go through before summer break. But because it was close to summer and I was failing two of my classes, it was also super stressful.

On a typical school morning in may, I would wake up and the first thing I'd have to deal with is throwing up. After being sick, I would then use the washroom, attempt to brush my teeth, get dressed and then slowly make my way downstairs to pack a snack.

I had to eat within an hour of waking or I would throw up.

After walking to school, I'd go to my first three classes and then spend lunch with my best friend. Thinking back now, I don't know why Ally didn't even question why I bought so much lunch and didn't gain weight.

After lunch, I would go to my last two classes and then go home. I'd have an hour to eat or nap or relax and then I'd have to go to work for 2-4 hours.

After work, I'd go home and eat dinner then shower and go to bed.

Being pregnant and doing all of that without letting on to anyone what I was going through was stressful, and because of the stress, I couldn't gain weight.

At one prenatal appointment in late may, I was told I was losing weight when I needed to gain. Because I was losing weight, my baby was draining any nutrients I had and taking it for itself, virtually leaving me with nothing.

Because I had little weight gain, I didn't show much until the end of June. During that month, most of my outfits were floppy sweaters, leggings, (because I couldn't fit jeans anymore) and flats. It was hard, but I got through the month without anyone noticing at school.

Work on the other hand, well, my coworker and boss noticed my new body shape and frequently commented on it. It didn't bother me though, knowing I was out of school and passed my classes was enough to keep me satisfied.

{A.N: Sorry this chapter is so short, I'm trying my best to keep up with this but I've been very busy with ultrasound trips in the city and work and summer school and ahh I'm trying...}